Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Satay On Diversey

Today I went to Satay for lunch. It is directly next to the Diversey el stop and I had seen its sign from the train so many times I had to try it. At a little after one o'clock I was the only customer in the place. I ordered the satay appetizer, the wonton udon soup and two pieces of masago. Everything looked great but overall I was a little let down. I was also unpleasantly surprised by the huge quantity of soup I was given...usually I'm all about big portions, but not when I've ordered two other things. I felt that it was a little remiss of the woman who took my order. I mean, she could have said 'the soup is really big, maybe you don't need the satay and the soup'. Oh well.

The soup consisted of the Japanese style udon noodles, chicken and shrimp wontons. The broth bordered on simply being hot water with a sheen of chicken oil. I liberally used soy and hot pepper sauces to make it a little more interesting. I ate all the wontons and left pretty much everything else.

The satay came with peanut sauce and cucumbers in that sweet vinegar? It was pretty standard but not bad.

The masago were clumsily rolled, ie they fell apart when I tried to pick them up with my chopsticks. And the wasabi was a little too pasty.

None of it was terrible but it wasn't fantastic either...I don't think I'll be going back.

No comments: