Friday, October 28, 2005

Beachcomber's Fantasy c/o Adria Mare

The boyfriend and I went to Adria Mare Restaurant for dinner tonight. I was hoping that Adria Mare could be the Chicago equivalent to my favorite mid-state New York restaurant, Diaspora.
We ordered a feta cheese tartlett as an appetizer (see above). The boyfriend and I were both expecting something a little more wonton-like but what came instead was good. There was a bit of dressing on each tartlett (which consisted of one slice tomato, one slice boiled egg, one black olive and a chunk of feta cheese) that really made all the different elements come together nicely.
I had the 'Beachcomber's Delight', mussels with a tomato sauce over spaghetti. It was a tad too sweet (they added a 'hint' of brown sugar to the sauce) for my taste, but the mussels were excellent.
The boyfriend had the garden risotto, which I was a little jealous of....in light of not liking my dish as much as I thought I would. Perhaps the lowest-light of the meal was the constant barrage of terrible music. For example, Italian tenors or baritones or maybe they weren't Italian at all, singing songs like Unchained Melody and My Way a)in another language and (more importantly/more hard to takely) b)as if it was opera. We also got to listen to a guy who could only be Harry Connick Junior sing covers of many songs, including those of The Beatles...eek!
I also had an espresso. This place is B.Y.O.B., but doesn't seem to have a corkage fee. I'm not heartily recommending it, but there wasn't anything bad about it either...except the music, that was bad.

1 comment:

Isabella di Pesto said...

Wow! Gorgeous food here. I have a food blog too. If you'd like to visit it, go here:

www.thehungryblogger.blogspot.com

And WooHoo! to the White Sox!

I'm from Boston and I know how White Sox fans feel!

Buon appetito!

Isabella di Pesto