Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Icy Sparks

Last week I read Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio. It is the tale of a mountain girl struggling with some mysterious ailment that makes her pop her eyes out and swear. It is about secrets and shame and overcoming all of it.
It is an Oprah's Bookclub book.
I have had many conversations since arriving in Chicago about the merits of Oprah's bookclub. In general I think it's pretty great when people read...being a writer and all. In general I think it's pretty great that Oprah gets women (and men) to read William Faulkner and John Steinbeck. In general I think that even the contemporary books Oprah picks aren't so bad...though not destined to be part of the same literary canon as Faulker and Steinbeck. Anyways. My point is that this book wasn't bad but I didn't like it very much either.

No comments: