Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Best of 2010, Meal Edition

This year hasn't been particularly kind to me in many respects. The loss of my mother remains a reality I must adjust to and I continue to be stymied by the rules of romance, but in spite of the terrific loss of this year and my own ineptitude, I managed to still have quite a good year when it came to good food and company. And that is not something to under appreciate. As always, I could have gone crazy and listed a lot more meals and experiences I valued over the last year, but I tried to narrow my favorites down a little. My final count is 11. And without further adieu, here they are, in rough chronological order.

My second visit to Modo Mio with L. was even better than the first in terms of food, service and company, and these scallops were particularly pleasing.
L.'s spring visit to Philly was a delight in and of itself, but our meal at Tinto and the wondrous properties of their chicken skewers definitely made a lasting impression.
There were many contenders for good times and great food from my many visits to J. and J.'s house over the year, but he-J.'s seafood paella and the spirits we were all in on that night made it to the list...though the gnocchi and sauce almost took over.
My spring visit to Seattle to see M. and A. and C. and T. was chock full of great times and delectable food, but the evening featuring fancy champagne, truffle cheese and coq au vin was one of my absolute favorites.
Most years dim sum gets a general nod in my round up, but this year it was the specific dim sum experience I had with T. and C. to which it is worth raising a ceramic cup of jasmine tea. The dumplings were larger, fresher and just altogether fantastic (I really only have three adjectives that I can use).
While my extended stay in Nashville in the spring wasn't under the best of circumstances, to say I didn't have any good meals during that time wouldn't be true. For example, eating rotisserie chicken from Calypso Cafe by the parthenon makes the cut. That chicken was delicious.
The soup and osso bucco I enjoyed at Miel with my father was another positive eating experience that took place in Nashville.
The surprising complementary properties of pairing strawberries with radishes became my go-to treat in the early days of summer.
Driving out of my way and searching for Bubby's Burrito's new location was absolutely worth the delay and effort. Bubby's burrito, I heart you.
While Supper didn't live up to my or Mr. Ass's expectations, the charcuterie plate at James easily exceeded my already rather high bar of what a charcuterie plate should be. Their selection of pickled veggies was a great touch.
My impromptu meet up with L. after a hair cut led to my introduction to a whole new level of burger , and a drink that I could happily sip upon for hours. Thank you Village Whiskey, for giving me the best burger of my life.
And that's a wrap. It has been eventful, this year of food. I can't wait to see what 2011 will bring! Feel free to look back at past years' 'best of' experiences: 2009, 2008.

5 comments:

nc catherine said...

It has been a rough and crazy year for you. I applaud your stamina and your continued ability to find joy and pleasure, even if they might only be snippets sometimes, and then to write about them for us, your audience.

Here's hoping for a wonderful '11, full of gustatory delights, friendships and oh yeah clarity on the romance rules (for all of us...yep).

Yep.

Ted said...

Glad to have been a part of a couple of those meals.

p. said...

That's some good eating. Bravo. Best wishes for 2011.

Caro said...

honored to be included in your best of. found another dim sum joint that you should try next time you're up in the pnw.

HinTN said...

What about your New Year's black eyed peas and collard greens? Ours are on the stove right now!