Sunday, September 26, 2010

This Burger Changed My Life

Last Sunday I went to Bubbles and got my hair cut. The same woman cut it as the time before, which made it very consistent and good. Though I think maybe I'll let it be a little longer in back while still short in front and the sides. Does that necessarily describe a mullet? I am not hip, I do not want a mullet. Whatever. After the cut I was in Center City and I felt like I should be doing something interesting, but hadn't come up with any plan. So it was to my relief to get a text from L. asking me if I had any interest in meeting her at Village Whiskey for lunch. We agreed on a time and I wandered around the Rittenhouse Square artists fair looking for interesting prints of chickens. I almost bought a tiny little illustration of a penguin jumping off of a cliff, but held myself back. Once we met up, I ordered the De Rigeur: rye, aperol, grapefruit, lemon, honey and mint. It was magical. I want to drink it all the time. Of course drinking a $12 cocktail all the time would get expensive but...oh I savored it.

I had originally thought that I'd just have a cocktail and try their pickles, but when the table next to us were served delicious looking burgers I adjusted my plan. I ordered the burger medium rare with mushrooms.

While I think they may have mixed up our cooking preferences (L. ordered her burger medium but it was much pinker than mine), that didn't really change the crazy, just out of control crazy, goodness of this burger. Like, for real. This burger. It changed me. I am a changed person because of how ridiculously delicious it was. The meat. The meat was some sort of magic meat. Some sort of combo of fantastic and amazing. The mushrooms were a nice extra taste and texture and even the dressing was special. Seriously. L. and I kept on sighing, groaning and looking at each other with eyes full of happiness and pain. Pain from how glorious the burger was, and how quickly it was being consumed into our bellies. I want to go have one right now.
Afterwards we went across the street and ordered gelati/o. I went with the lime and pineapple sorbets, so technically not gelato at all. The pairing of the tart and refreshing lime with the succulent sweetness of pineapple was a pretty good choice on my part.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

This made me laugh out loud. So true. The pain. The glorious delicious happy... pain.

nc catherine said...

Ok so I had a burger-life changing experience a week or so ago. Maybe not on this level, but I think I found a perfect burger, here. Went with co-workers to this draught house pub place near a large large urban did I say large university campus. I expected cheap beer and "meh" food. Wow. I did have a cheap beer of some draught, I know not the name, and I had a burger that was hand packed cooked exactly right...flavorful meat, wonderful unobtrusive horseradish sauce, bacon and cheese. Yeah yeah wow heart attack on a plate but oh my goodness! An awesome burger.

I hear ya on the wonderfulness of a wonderful burger.