Thursday, December 02, 2010

Another Walk, This Time Featuring a Chipmunk and a Blue Bird

The next day, before K. left, we took another walk. This time along the perimeter and then up and around Lake Cheston. This is a view from Morgan's Steep.
This is a chipmunk. Chipmunks, as I have said somewhere before, are cute whether in cartoon or real-life form, whereas squirrels are only cute as cartoons. That's my stance.
As we walked by the stables, the horses of which would not come and say hi to us, I saw this blue bird and took a few photographs of its progress along the fence and into the grass.





Yep. Birds.

4 comments:

SK-S said...

I agree. Chipmunks are cute in real life and squirrels are cuter as cartoons. Our cat loves them both. Unfortunately his love is not usually coexistent with continuing life for the squirrels.

nc catherine said...

I do believe your loping bird (can one lope while flying? I am gonna say yes, because that bird did not look any bit in need of quick intentional flight) is an indigo bunting. I look for them here, hardly ever see them, maybe they need horses and open spaces and whatnot. I love seeing them wherever I am.

Finally reopened the bird buffet, getting a lot of small song bird traffic, and the usual we-so-rock cardinals, and the ever-present Squirrelinator...fatassed squirrel who has figured out how to game the feeders and shovel food while stretched out between the fence and the feeder. Almost don't want to reconfigure the placement since s/he is so resourcesful. Set out a nice little feeder for the finches but some mean critter took it all apart. Onwards to better bird feeder engineering.....

cc said...

Hmmm. I'm skeptical of that bunting ID...buntings don't have quite the same belly as a blue bird. In other words, blue birds aren't as blue as buntings.

Either way, pretty.

nc catherine said...

Ah you are correct. T'wasn't a bunting after all. Maybe I just like saying indigo bunting! Probably no blue bird is as blue as a bunting, indigo.