Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dinner c/o Modo Mio

L. and I went to Modo Mio last week. We enjoyed ourselves so much the first time round we thought we'd just go back, instead of trying somewhere new. I appreciated the chance to go back to a restaurant, try more of their dishes, get a better feel for the food and the place. We sat pretty much in the same place, and it was low lit, but I think the new camera helped me, and my photographic exposure settings are improving.
I liked the sound of the scallop special for my first course, and they were just wonderful. Nicely seared, great taste and an orange sauce of some kind, which had a subtle sweetness.
For her pasta, L. had the special pasta of the night, a lasagna with all kinds of creamy goodness.
For my pasta course I went with something a little different: the tagliatelle with artichoke, caper, house-made pancetta and veal sweetbreads. I enjoyed it. The last time I felt like a few of the dishes were a little over salted. Saltiness was not an issue in this meal, and it could have been. Oh and the pasta itself was such a different beast than the stuff you buy in the store. I would like to learn how to make pasta. Perhaps I will.
L.'s third course was prosciutto wrapped trout fillet, broccoli rabe, marsala, plum tomato and walnuts.
I ordered the lamb meatball, fried egg, radicchio, capers and sundried cherry balsamic maionese. It was r-i-c-h, but damn good.
We each finished with a coffee.
L. had the caramel ganache dish that we loved the last time, and I tried the cheesecake with golden raisins and all sorts of crazy goodness.
Afterwards we met up with C. and F. for a beer at Wine-O.
I've been digging on this ridiculously red lipstick. I may really become a painted whore.


It was a lovely meal and evening.

2 comments:

nc catherine said...

Last first, the lipstick is great and not the least bit super red tart painted whore-ish at all.

Second, for reasons not known to me, at one point I had two pasta makers and I am thinking I may still have two pasta makers. If I do you are welcome to one, actually I can't even remember the last time I used the one, so maybe if that inspires you then you can have the one. Assuming of course all it gears and cutting edges and rollers and what not have not succumbed to decades of disuse and life in the south, as humid and all as it is.

I did make pasta for a while and oh yes it is a different thing altogether. But then I stopped. Much like my bread making and so on and so on. I could live happily on home made carbs but then I would be so large I could not get through my doorways and that would be bad.

I will explore various cupboards and closets and hidey holes this weekend and report back on the surfeit, or not, of pasta makers.

And yum on the scallops, I have never managed a sear like that!

cc said...

Well, I'm glad you think so...in person I think it's a little stronger...maybe.

If you have an extra pasta maker, I will take an extra pasta maker. I read some book, or article, (or maybe saw it in a television show?) in the last six months in which a dude talks about a very strong memory he has of his mother's pasta hanging over the backs of dining room chairs. I think something bad happened to his mother, and that this image was one of the few he had of her.

I guess it's weird that the excerpt memory of a larger, and potentially tragic, story, has made me want to start making pasta and hang it in weird places. Does this count as macabre somehow?

And yes! The scallops really right on the money.