Friday, December 10, 2010

Ax Fail

At one point S. stopped by with an axe and protective glasses and suggested that I might like the ability to make myself more kindling. I was certainly going through it as a nice clip and thought it would be proper to replenish the supply for my own purposes as well as to leave the house with just as much as it started with. So, one morning, I donned my safety glasses and went on over to the wood pile to break some logs down into their smaller, more easily burnable, parts.
I thought it would be a matter of brute strength, leverage and caution.
But it didn't really work out.
I did eventually split this log into two smaller pieces, but not of the slender or uniform size as the kindling I was using as my model. After weighing the sagacity of attempting further cuts with so little expertise or success, I gave up.

2 comments:

Ted said...

I found the problem. Your axe is not designy enough:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/garden/01peter.html

nc catherine said...

Not sure what kind of wood you were attempting to split, but if it has a wierd grain it will be nigh on to impossible to split easily as a novice. Once I learned how, splitting wood has been a great theraputic tool. So far no lost toes or bad whacks to the lower leg....

But Ted may also be correct. The ax may not be designy enough.....

The look with the safety goggles is impressive!