Thursday, December 09, 2010

Dinner c/o Bolete

When I decided to spend some time in the Upper Black Eddy area I contacted Mr. Ass and asked him if he might not like to join me at Bolete for dinner. I thoroughly enjoyed my last eating experience at the restaurant, and was about ready for a slightly higher quality of food than could be gotten in Sewanee or through my own limited cooking skills. Mr. Ass did a little sleuthing on the website and noted their Frugal Foodies deal, which one can take advantage of during the first and last hour of the restaurant's service...basically you pay about $30 but a three course meal and all wine bottles under $100 are half off. I forget what the choices were, basically the choice of one of two appetizers from the night's menu, the choice of one of two entrees from the menu, and two dessert options as well. I went with their version of a Salad Lyonnaise, which was a variation of their "Crisp Happy Farm's Duck Egg" salad...only with duck confit instead of sweet breads and perhaps a different kind of mushroom, or no mushroom at all. It. Was. Excellent. I have no idea how they made that egg crispy on the outside. Boiled it just enough that it was firm, then breaded it and fried it while still keeping the yolk runny? Maybe.
I had their salmon of the evening. It was perfectly cooked, nicely flavored and atop some magical crazy mushroom hash wonderland. Pardon the photo quality, I ramped up the ISO to deal with the low light to iffy returns.
Dessert was the most disappointing element of the dinner. I think it was a pear sorbet? But I didn't really taste the pears and it seemed to have a texture that didn't entirely jibe with me.
Mr. Ass was experiencing technical difficulties on his insides, so I don't know how much he truly got to enjoy or appreciate the meal, but I was glad for his company. Also, our server was pretty nice and cool. I think I liked her earrings.

No comments: