Saturday, April 03, 2010

Truffle Cheese, Champagne, Coq au Vin and Catan

After our cocktails we went on a quick trip to the local Whole Foods to pick up a few things for dinner, and M. and A.'s friend A. My contribution came in the form of two truffle-icious cheeses: truffle tremor and my old standby, the sottocenere.

M.'s grandmother had given her a nice bottle of Grande Dame Veuve Cliquot for an important birthday, and M. thought it would be a good time to pop its cork, which we did. I thought it was a cut above the normal bubbly I consume, but M. and A. seemed a little less impressed. Whatever, I was glad to try such a fancy libation, especially as a delayed celebration of M.'s birthday.
For dinner, M. and A. prepared a lovely salad and coq au vin.
There was a fair amount of confusion over the color of the dish, and whether it should have been more brown, less brown, more purple, less purple etc. I recounted my own attempt at coq au vin, and the lashing I got in Chicagoist's comment section. Ah, those were the days...of acting like I knew how to cook and being repeatedly told that I did not.
Then we played Catan. Ever since I introduced A. and M. to the game last Easter, they have been fans. When they moved out to Seattle they purchased their own board (the sign of a true convert), which made me very pleased. I am the game trendsetter of the century I tell you. Trendsetter=me. Unfortunately M. seemed to have surpassed the trendmaster and won the game with a slew of cities. Still a good game. I don't really play in Philly all that often, due to a lack of people who know how to play. Hm. Oh well.
And this is a face that one can see often when playing games with M...if things are going well. She has quite a different face when she gets her ass handed to her in Scrabble. Heh.
A great first night. I ended up being up for nearly 24 hours but rebounded quite nicely in subsequent days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you eat more nice meals in a month than I do in a year.

cc said...

Well, I don't know what you're eating on the day-to-day, but this last slew of good meals were all vacation-oriented. If it makes you feel any better I have eaten two Amy's Frozen Cheese Enchiladas meals in the last week.