Saturday, December 25, 2010

Porcsalt Dinner c/o McCrossens

L. suggested that she and I take part in a special dinner McCrossens was hosting at some point last month, and after looking at the menu I agreed that it would be worth my while. Simultaneously I was making plans to meet up with A.S, Mr. Ass ad two of his friends for oysters. Unfortunately I completely confused my days and ended up scheduling the two things on the same day. Whoops. Once I realized this mistake, I asked Mr. Ass if they might not want to join in on the special 'one day only' McCrossens option. They agreed. So we all met up and took part. The dinner was conceived and executed by Matthew Ridgway of Bucks County's Porcsalt. In addition to the three course meal they also had a few special starters. I went with the salmon roe on toast with some sort of something that I completely forget. To be frank, I didn't love it. The toast was so brittle that it was hard to actually take a full bite without everything crumbling before a taste got to my mouth. That said, I do love salmon roe.
For the first course we had the option of either Winter Beer Soup with Bacon-Bread Dumplings or Parma Wrapped Rabbit Terrine with Castelvetrano Olives, Celery and orange. I went with the terrine. The lighting at McCrossens is not easy for photography, so pardon these extremely moody images. The terrine was to my liking on the whole; decadent and fatty but smooth. Oh yeah. Now you totally know what it was like. I tried a spoon full of the soup, which Mr. Ass seemed to greatly enjoy but I don't think it was for me...that or I should have taken a second spoon.
The options for the second course were Crispy Heritage Pork Belly with Pickled Prunes and Sherry Gastric or Marinated Beet Salad with Toasted Challah and a Honey Dressing. I went with the beet salad, which was nothing like I expected. The beets were almost pureed they were diced so small. It was more like a beet spread on the challah. And then there was the dollop of unexpectedness. It kind of tasted like uni, though it could have been some blend of salmon eggs and something else. Either way, it drowned out the honey dressing and was a bit at odds with the sweetness of the beets. I tried a bite of L.'s pork belly and it was fatty in a great way.
For the main course we had the choice of either Grilled Pheasant on Pike with Baked Apple, Mashers and a Foie Gras Sauce or Lamb Porterhouse with Sweetbreads and Quark Spatzle. I went with the lamb, which I liked very much. I could look up what quark spatzle is, but I'm not going to...all I know is that it was sooooo heavy on the butter and cream that it was both delicious and overly rich. I liked the sweetbreads' preparation, crispier than I have had them in the past.
There was also dessert, but I was too full to really enjoy it. A.S., Mr. Ass and his two friends set off soon after dessert. I lingered for a Mad Elf beer while L. took photographs of the restaurant for them, then I headed on home.

No comments: