Monday, December 13, 2010

Burger c/o Village Whiskey

My return to Philadelphia was short, as I headed back out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday. That said, I did manage to get a dinner with L. into my abbreviated week back. We went to Village Whiskey early enough that seating wasn't too terribly hard to get. I already knew that I love their De Rigeur cocktail and didn't want to really explore, so I didn't.
I did try their pickled cherry tomatoes as an exploration and they were like magic crack in jar form. Not as vinegary as I thought they might be, they were just fresh little explosions of surprise in every bite. Now I want to go back and eat them right now, and try their other pickled options.
For my meal there was also very little to decide, as the burger was the name of my game. Though I did go in a different direction with toppings. This time I went with the fried egg and cheddar cheese. This was still a fantastic burger but I actually didn't enjoy the egg element as much as I thought I might. While often I feel disappointed when a fried egg is cooked so its yolk doesn't run at all, in this situation the opposite was true. Simply putting the top of my bun on the burger and gently pressing the meat, tomato, cheese, egg package together led to a mess, and forget about actually picking the sandwich up without getting yolk all over your fingers. This is not a complaint of any sort of epic or grumpy proportion, just that the taste of the egg and cheese with the burger wasn't worth the hassle. Next time I think I'll go back to the mushrooms but maybe add goat cheese.

This was L.'s first visit to the establishment. I worried that I had over hyped the burger and she wouldn't be all that impressed. My worries were unncessary; she was impressed. I threw back a couple of De Rigeurs while L. went with beer and we ended our dinner in good spirits and full bellies. We went on and had one more drink elsewhere but I didn't take photographs to prove it. Thanks to L. for a lovely dinner!

No comments: