Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Best of 2008, Meal Edition

I usually abstain from looking back on things (ha, biggest joke ever). Okay, so I look back pretty much constantly, but I don't generally compile lists of things that I have liked over a span of time. But I thought I would do so today (well, I started this yesterday, but whatever), as New Years is fast approaching and that's what people do. So for your enjoyment, my 17 most memorable meals (due to perfection of the dish, and/or fun of the company).

It's surprising how good a toasted slice of Pepperidge Farm thin white bread can be when spread with a bit of my cheesy artichoke dip and drizzled with truffle oil. Simply amazing.
The escoveitched fish c/o Greensboro, North Carolina's Da Reggae Cafe was so surprisingly tangy and yet refreshing. I have been meaning to go to Philly's best known Jamaican restaurant to take another try of the dish, but haven't. No matter, this was great (though I could have done without the plantains; a prejudice I am unlikely to conquer).
The power of a good everything bagel, with lox cream cheese, should not be underestimated. Ever.
I still love sushi, but don't partake of it as much now that I am single and poor-er. This plate of sashimi is, by far, the thickest cut and yet buttery/quality sushi I have had in my life...or, since I can't remember everything I've ever eaten (though it often feels like I can...ask me about a meal I had with you and there's a 60/40 chance that I'll be able to tell you what you had and what I had), at least this year.
This would be a perfect example of the glory of the tastes of a meal being seriously enhanced by the company (and liberal amounts of sake). My multi-course meal at Zenkichi with M., A., S. and C. was just a great time. I have long appreciated (re: since high school) the company of M. and S. and A. won a place in my heart a few years back when he convinced M. that they should continue to hang out with me in Tennessee for two days after their original departure date...and C., well I had read her (now defunct?) blog for so long it made sense to actually meet her. The drinks we had a little later on were also great (no food was had however). Good work everybody!
Pork shoulder has become one of my stand-by impress-people-with-my-cooking-prowess dishes over the last two years. This particular pork shoulder was made during my time as guest/freeloader/housewife to C. and T. in Indiana and was quite moist and delicious (if I do say so myself).
My last night in Indiana is another prime example of how good food and good people are complementary to an overall 'best' meal experience. C., T. and I went to Farm and it was a lovely ending to a special couple of months.
My first Bubby's burrito in nearly four years. Three? Whatever. It was really wonderful.
The breakfast (and poached egg) by which all others are judged. 'Nuff said.
Coming back to the east coast was a move I made that I thought would have a number of positive outcomes (work being a big one); soft shell crabs, marinated in ginger milk, lightly breaded, fried and served with fresh corn was certainly another big draw.
Going out to see A (aka Mr. Ass). and E. in Newtown, even if a flat tire factored heavily into the day, and sitting in A.'s well provisioned (their stove, oh I would die for their stove) but entirely welcome and homey kitchen while watching A. and E. construct a pesto made (if I remember correctly) from basil from Mr. Ass' garden and just catching up and eating together with a lovely view makes the list.
The first batch of the macaroni and cheese I made for the rooftop barbeque I hosted while K. and J. visited was quite good--especially with a sliver of truffle cheese and a Philadelphia view-- (thanks again to K.).
Concord grapes in all their true grape flavor glory made a big impression during the fall months of the Fairmount Farmers' Market.
The Primo's sandwich (technically a sub, but whatever) that arguably started my recent infatuation with all things sandwich. The salami, the sharp provolone, the peppers, the pickles; the fine, fine sandwich that I dream about.
It would be a sad 'best of' if my birthday dinner didn't manage to find a spot on the list. My latest birthday meal did not disappoint--from the tower of tasty Lyonnaise Salad to the gluttonous fois gras topped burger--a heaping hearty thank you goes out to the parents for making it possible.
While my most recent trip to Pho Ha may have resulted in my pondering the meaning of coincidence in this modern world, my first trip to the Washington Avenue shopfront restaurant proved to be exactly what the doctor ordered: fatty, beefy, brothy, noodley goodness (aka the best pho, ever).
And what would a year be without a good dose of dim sum. Each time I've dim summed since moving to Philadelphia has been great. This specific outing, with my parents, was especially useful for tastographic pictures.
And thus concludes my 2008 meals in review. Having reviewed the past year I am tempted to include other 'best roundups'. Like, best pretty-ness, or best hanging out with children, or best getting drunk somewhere...but I think that will have to wait for another year (or forever, whichever comes first).

6 comments:

J(ibade-)K(halil) H(uffman) said...

Caroline, This blog is pretty rad,
Khalil

Ted said...

Epic post. I'm glad I got in on a couple of the Best of the Year meals.

cc said...

Thank you kindly Khalil, come on back, you never know what I'll be eating and I'm always looking to boost my readership.

Epic indeed. I thought that it'd be a top 10 list, but didn't feel like ruthlessly cutting. (though I know which meals would be cut...I'm ruthless in private)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Great roundup. The everything bagel and lox looks so tempting, but the Primo sandwich/sub takes the prize for most delicious!

thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

Anonymous said...

Cool that the G'boro joint made it in. I was just thinking about your trip here nearly a year ago. I went back to Da Reggae in the sprin gwith some work folk and the food was soooo not as good. My dishes in fact were nasty. So haven't been back again, pity.

I need to do your pork shoulder thing. Friends are making carnitas with too much, much too much pork shoulder so I will eat waaaaay too much tonight! Good thing the resident teen wanted to join the cheap gym. We went today and most likely will go tomorrow, the theory being that twice in a row is now a habit. We are bordering on being butterballs she and I so the gym going will be good!

Happy 2009. Here is to some visits hither and yon? A Panhandle trip??? Anyway, keep on eating and keep on writing!

Cryptic Council Junior Steward said...

I love the idea of a years best meals roundup. Glad also that the pesto evening was fondly remembered.