Sunday, January 20, 2008

Vietnamese in Greensboro

Yesterday my hostesses with the mostessest and I went out to lunch just as the oft spoke about snow started making its (in the end minimal) presence known. I ordered a salted lemonade because, well, I was curious. After taking three sips I was no longer curious....a waitress came around and asked if I liked it, I had to admit that, no I did not and then they were kind enough to replace it was a regular lemonade. The salted lemonade was an interesting combination of tastes on my tongue...but, strangely, the one that lingered the most was a sort of fake lemonade-y taste. It wasn't the salted aspect that went so terribly awry it was this slightly metallic weird thingy. I'm almost tempted to try it again so I can better capture what was so disturbing about it. The replacement lemonade was super sweet and tasty.

I had a crispy spring roll. It was nice and hot.
And PH3 pho. Beef meatballs, strips of meat, noodles etc. It wasn't bad. Though the meatballs were a little gristly/chewy and the meat not as tender as I had hoped (but this could also be said for my last pho experience in Chicago) so maybe the problem is I expect one thing but it's not how it's actually supposed to be?
The broth was definitely good and the quantity of soup/noodles etc generous. And how do you pronounce pho? It's not fo and it's not fah it's feh. This is what our waitress told us, when asked. It is not neccessarily only eaten for breakfast but this is because (once again according to our server) in Vietnam there is less of a 'breakfast' 'lunch' 'dinner' mentality. But then she grew up here so she might not know either. I don't know. She definitely knew the pronunciation however.

No comments: