Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Good Idea Gone Terribly Awry

Last night I walked into the kitchen and smelled jalepeno poppers. I got very excited.
I asked my mom where the jalepeno poppers were located. Actually, there were no jalepeno peppers she had roasted some bigger kind of pepper and was going to do something tasty with them. But I had jalepeno-esque poppers on the brain and my mother, kindly one that she is, let me take over. I got a bowl of flour, I got a bowl of corn meal and I beat two eggs and intended to add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the eggs. But instead a whole big wallop of cayenne pepper plopped in...we're talking two tablespoons at least. I said to myself: 'well it's only in the eggs and it'll be fine'. So then I stuffed the peppers with cream cheese and shredded cheese. And then I attempted to pan fry the suckers. Which worked out kind of. Then I allowed my father to take over and bake them the rest of the time. They looked good enough but within three bites it was clear: spicy, spicy, spicy. Lesson? Let your mom make whatever she wants and go to some sports bar if you're so needy for jalepeno poppers.

No comments: