Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Another One Around

The skinniest fire hydrant I've ever seen.
My father grew up in Sewanee. I spent a portion of my summers here up til my grandmother died when I was ten or eleven (?) and, even then, I made my way back here a few times to see other relatives. But the geography of the town and its environs is limited in its scope. I haven't really broadened my understanding of back streets or nearby towns. There are roads that lead to places that I've heard about but never been...Sherwood comes to mind. This is not entirely true, this summer I found the joys of the drive-in in (kind of nearby) Estill Springs. What's my point? Yesterday my mother and I took a walk on a road I've only driven down once. We said hello to a very red golden retriever and would have said hello to his black dog friend but he had an electric collar and couldn't come to the road. Mom showed me a whole area I'd never seen...full of left-over supplies from building projects the university has done.
Look at mom, ducking under instead of over.
We saw an old house and then, suddenly (!), the house fell down. Okay. No it didn't.




Then we went out to the stables. When I was a kid the stables were a little more rag-tag. No white fences, shiny new indoor riding areas etc...but it was still where I learned to ride horses...something I very much enjoyed. We hoped to see more dogs (we're always on the lookout for dogs...when I was a kid Sewanee was known for its roaming friendly dogs but in the last ten years there's been a leash law and now you can't pick up a temporary walking dog like you used to) than we did.


We did run into this guy however. Blue eyes like a huskie, no tail and body of a corgi...only taller. He/she was more interested in getting a belly pat than a head rub.
Another horse field. When I was a kid I'd walk to this field and the resident horses of the time would amble over. I"d pull out clumps of green grass or an apple I had brought along and we'd all have a good time...I got to pet their soft, soft noses and they got little edible treat. These horses, below, are bastards with no sense of good-will or manners. In other words they did not come and say hello.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your photos and notes about Sewanee.
We recently relocated here from CA and have no regrets.
It is our best place on earth and perhaps I should keep that a secret.
We are building and I have a blog
http:redoakhollow.blogspot.com
You'll see why this area is so special. Come visit.

Unknown said...

The widespread availability of temporary walking dogs could only help society.

Anonymous said...

the blue eyed dog is named "Simone" and she belongs to a family who is currently on sabbatical in Shanghai, China. She is being cared for by her housesitters, but is alwasy on the lookout for potential petters! I sent your blog to China so that her owners, Sherri, Scott, Marisa and Kyra could see that she is getting good attention. Chinese internet firewalls prevented them from replying directly to your blog, but they said thanks for the post and go pet Simone whenever you are in Sewanee!