Thursday, January 03, 2008

Lunch c/o Demera

On my second to last afternoon in Chicago No-Longer-Wayward joined my parents and I for a lunch at Demera Restaurant. Demera recently opened at the corner of Broadway and Lawrence and I noticed it and was like, well I have liked the African food I've had in the past, wouldn't it be nice to try some from another venue other than Ras Dashen? So we went. There was quite the buffet deal, except that it all looked like it had been sitting for a while and didn't include as many tasty treats. So, we opted for the more expensive route of eating. Thanks Dad! We had a chicken dish, a lamb dish, a tilapia dish, a steak dish and two lentil dishes. The lamb was the opposite of tender. The tilapia dish tasted good but didn't have that many actual chunks of fish. The steak dish (with some sort of cheese and 'goshen') was good and spicy…I kind of wonder if it was raw steak when I think back to it. Lentil dishes were perfectly okay as was the chicken. No Longer Wayward was the impetus to my first African eating experience and I think she and I agreed that Ras Dashen had more vegetarian options and that the tilapia dish we had there was far superior to Demera's. I drank an entire pot of coffee to myself and got straight up coffee crazy…this led to a wonderfully manic and unnecessarily confusing conversation about Upper and Lower Michigan Avenues that went on for a long, long time and was, almost entirely, that long because of my coffee craziness.

No comments: