Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Oyster Bar At Grand Central Station

Another place the boyfriend and I liked to go when in NYC was the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station. So, we went there, met up with another college chum and got down to the oyster feast. We had 18 oysters in all...some were Yaquina, some were Well Fleet and then there were others but, to be frank, I don't remember their names.
In the past we've sat at the oyster bar, proper, so we could see the shucking. We could also see chef type men making creamy looking stews. I always wanted to try one of these and decided that Monday was the day to do it. There was a choice between a 'stew' and a 'panroast' with a fifty cent difference in price. When I asked our waiter what, exactly, a pan roast was he replied 'it's like the stew but with more spices'. I ordered the oyster panroast and it ended up being some tomatoey/creamy/strangely spiced concoction with four cooked oysters and a soggy piece of bread. I didn't like it. I wish I had, but I just didn't, sorry.
In the women's bathroom, when I first walked in, I was confronted with this lip couch. Strange under any circumstances, but doubly so as the general atmosphere of the Oyster Bar is a bit on the shabby genteel old school variety (if that makes any sense) and a giant set of red lips doesn't exactly fit in with the vibe.

No comments: