Friday, January 20, 2006

Nymphos By Acevedo

I just finished reading The Nymphos Of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo. I chose to read this book because back in the day I had a fond appreciation for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I don't mind the occasional Anne Rice Novel, so the opportunity to read a new mystery/novel about vampires struck me as some fun vacation reading.

Though relatively easy to read, the book itself was not very interesting to read. The opening line, I think, makes this clear:
"I don't like what Operation Iraqi Freedom has done to me. I went to war a soldier; I came back a vampire."

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats is told from the perspective of Felix Gomez a former military guy who, after accidentally killing four Iraqi civilians, allows a vampire to punish him with 'the immortal gift'. Now back in the states Felix is a private detective. Sigh. Exactly where he learned all he learned about being a vampire is left a bit vague--somebody somewhere showed him some things moving on. Vampires in this day and age can: a) run around in the day time care of extremely strong sunscreen and makeup, b)eat food--though they smother it with blood and c)turn into wolves. They cannot however: a)deal with bullets very well b)continue to have all their vampire powers if they never drink human blood (like Felix) and c)be half as cool as they were in Buffy.

This is just a silly book that isn't even that great. The plot goes a little something like this: Felix is called to Denver by an old friend to look into some funny things happening at the Department of Energy nuclear containment type place called Rocky Flats. It seems a bunch of women were exposed to something or other and got nymphomania and started humping everybody they could. Felix's friend wants him to figure out what the women were exposed to.
So there's nymphomania, vampires, a dryad, vampire hunters and an alien conspiracy in this book...those are the main ingredients.

The plot moves in stops and starts. The action parts seem slightly repetitive and the love scenese/all other scenes just don't seem all that engaging. I hate to say it but this book did not entertain me and I'm not all that interested in writing anymore about it.





No comments: