Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mystery

While I was in Tennessee my parents took out the first episode of the Inspector Lynley series which was called Deliverance. It told a gruesome story about a farmer being decapitated, babies left outside churches, Hodgkin's disease and posh love gone awry. I liked it, so I put a few Lynley episodes on my Netflix queue. Last night I watched Inspector Lynley:Well Schooled....In Murder.
When I was little watching Mystery on WETA, our local public television station, was a treat. I was allowed to stay up until ten...maybe eleven...and I usually got to have some ice cream with chocolate syrup. The show was hosted by Vincent Price. The old guy would be sitting, usually, in some creepy set and would introduce the audience to the plot and characters and then the show would begin. I loved me my Mystery. I have a fond place in my heart for its opening credits, animated illustrations by Edward Gorey accompanied by rather gothic music and the occasional woman's shriek or sigh. Good times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The opening animation to Mystery always freaked me out. It was so surreal and creepy, and when that woman sighs, I just have to leave the room. My parents were pretty big fans to, but by the time I got around to it, a British woman whose name I should remember but cannot was hosting. She was less scary than Vincent Price

acknowledgandproceed said...

gorey is glorious

also:

you eat so well, especially compared to me...

if I did the same thing you do, my meals would be ugly affairs of the microwave. Sigh.

cc said...

Diana Riggs is the new host...she's okay, but she stands in front of things like she's trying to hide the fact that she's sixty something and has a bit of a belly. I've decided I'm ready to become a devotee of Mystery...now if I could only find out when it's on.