Saturday, January 07, 2006

Mama, What's An Onion?

At the changeover of planes in Atlanta I thought it was finally time to try a Krystal burger...eighty cents for one with cheese and I must say, it wasn't very good.
Here is a story I like that really happened to me:

A few years ago I decided I was going to highlight my hair and that it wouldn't be too hard to just do it myself. I was wrong, it was very hard, I ended up with strange blonde/yellow patches with no regularity throughout my hair...it didn't look good. My mother suggested I go to the hair salon she had been to a few times to get it fixed, I agreed. The day I arrived I was the only customer, my hair dresser was a woman in her early thirties. She was a bit overweight and her hair was a tiny bit on the big hair side, but she was nice and down to earth so I didn't worry about what she could do to my hair. With her was her 8-10 year old son, a dirty blonde boy who was clearly overweight. He was a sweet kid though, asking his mother questions about her job and making her laugh occasionally. At one point he was sitting in another salon chair, spinning around eating sour cream and onion potato chips when he looked up at his mother and said:
-Mama?
To which his mother replied:
-Yeah honey?
-What's an onion?
Some slight discussion followed as to why he wanted to know and one attempt to explain what an onion was before the mother said this:
-Hmmm. You know on your Krystal burger?
-Yeah.
-Onions are those little white things.

That is my story. In case you missed why it is both funny and sad, I will paraphrase--this 8-10 year old boy could only know what an onion was by associating it with extremely bad fast food. Get it?

1 comment:

maikaojai said...

Very sad indeed. But does it say more about his diet, or about his lack of knowledge about the origins of his dinner? I'm not sure which is worse, actually.

I'm glad you got your hair fixed up--I've had bad highlights too.