Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Afternoon Excursion to Lampson Falls

I so enjoyed our day trip adventure to Lampson Falls the last time I was in the Adirondacks that I implored M. for a repeat. We got off to a later start than that last time, and somehow the drive seemed longer. I really should have better documented the long stretches of unpaved roads we drove, and the plentiful plumes of dust that followed in the wake of my car and looked quite impressive in my rear view mirror...but I was busy driving. On the way we crossed this little metal bridge and I was just blown away from the perfection of the view that I stopped the car to take a few photos. I mean, really, how can some places have so much beauty? It's astounding sometimes. And uplifting. The whole area around Silver Lake is so not developed, lots of wilderness and trees and gravel roads and quiet. I really do feel invigorated or inspired by that environment. Maybe it was also the lack of easy internet access or phone service...you can't worry about who is, or is not, calling you when it's a moot point.
Pleased.
We returned to this rock shelf area about a half mile or so from the falls proper. I don't know what was with me, but I didn't really get in the water as much as I had last time...I certainly didn't try to immerse myself. This was at least partially due to the fact that the sun was blocked by clouds a fair amount of the time, and the water was c-o-l-d cold. We played Scrabble but didn't have a pen to keep score, so we did our math in our heads. I won, but by what margin we'll never know -- I'm pretty sure that our final scores were both lower than what they should have been. Math. Who needs it?
I did get in the water a little bit, inching my way out on the rock that went on for quite a bit under the water.
The water is a sort of caramel/tobacco color. I think because of lumber companies or sap or something?
This photograph properly demonstrates the color of the water...and the whiteness of my legs.

Same suit as 2009, face just a little older, hair just a little shorter.
This guy was waiting for me when I finished taking photographs of myself.
The falls proper. If I ever return I may actually venture into this part of the water.


No comments: