Thursday, April 08, 2010

Walkabout Ballard and Thai c/o Thaiku

After breakfast we did something or other, I don't know what exactly...but I'm pretty sure it was relaxing...oh yes, M. and I began a game of Scrabble. It was relaxing...because I was kicking her ass. Ha ha. I am actually not such an asshole when it comes to games except when playing with M. I think. Regardless. J. and I had made plans to see each other in some fashion whilst I was on the west coast, and when kayaking turned out to be too far for her to travel, J. expressed a willingness to drive to Seattle, which she did. We took a walk around the Ballard locks area and saw more pretty plants and flowers.
And the locks themselves were pretty cool. We went and looked at the fish ladders, but it wasn't fish climbing time, so there wasn't a lot to see except murky water. I would love, love, love to see fish flailing their way up a man-made ladder. Perhaps another time.
For lunch we went to a spot J. had been to before, called Thaiku. I wish I could tell you that the entire menu was written in haiku format but, alas, they didn't take it that far. I had a beer.

J. ordered a very cool appetizer, the Mieng Kahm. Which consisted of toasted coconut, chopped ginger, lime, chilis, peanuts etc which you then wrapped up and ate. Very hands-on.
For my main course I thought I'd try something new, so I went with the Kao Moo Dang, Chinese sausage and barbequed pork in a "rich tangy red sauce" with boiled egg and cucumbers as accompaniments. The Chinese sausage was to my liking, and the presentation was good, but the overall flavor wasn't as great.
After lunch we returned to M&A's and sat outside in the sun for a while. Panda looked upon us from on high.

It was great to see J. and I was glad she made the trip. Hope the return drive wasn't too rush hour-y!

No comments: