Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Dinner c/o Pair

Upon our return from kayaking we were pretty tired, but not so tired that we stayed in for dinner. No, no. Instead, we went to Pair, which is the first restaurant A&M went to after signing the lease on their house. It was a quiet night with a lot of empty tables. I ordered a vodka tonic with a twist in a moment of cocktail panic, but it was actually quite tasty. I ordered the charcuterie and the endive salad with bacon, apples and a poached egg. M. ordered the cheese plate, and something else. The charcuterie plate was a little disappointing. The portion was fair, but the actual meats weren't overly impressive. Except for the one whose name I forget (the little sausage pile in the center by the cornichons). The salami was way too dry and the other one, for all its fat, didn't have a lot of actual flavor.
A. ordered prosciutto wrapped pears.
My salad wasn't exactly what I expected, as it was served warm, but it would have been entirely to my satisfaction if they had remembered what I consider the 'glue' of the dish (re: poached egg). I asked our server if I was crazy to expect the egg, she told me I wasn't but that communication problems in the kitchen resulted in the eggless salad. She then told me it would take fifteen minutes to poach an egg, but that they could make a over easy egg real quick. I didn't feel like waiting for the substitute egg for 15 minutes, and over easy eggs make me uneasy, so I went without and couldn't help but think of how a little yolky goodness would have tied everything together nicely. She did comp me half a glass of wine for the disappointment.
While this wasn't the most successful meal of the trip, I have no doubt that on a 'on night' this restaurant would turn out great dishes and atmosphere. M&A also acknowledged that this wasn't their finest dining experience at the establishment, so chalk it up to a momentary lapse in what is usually quite awesome. That said, I thank M&A for this meal, and for all the other meals they bought me while I was in town. I hope one day to reciprocate.

2 comments:

Robley H said...

Caroline, have you seen this? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/dining/07camera.html

J said...

I was about to post the same link.

Make sure to read the part about taking pics of food next to a stuffed sheep.