Thursday, April 29, 2010

Meals Mom Ate, and a Momentary Return to Subway/Cafeteria Fare

On Monday I started taking photographs of the grub my mother was having come her way. I think a day after this particular set of meals, we realized that she could slightly tailor her fare to her preferences, but things were pretty grim in terms of the food department. I believe this meal consists of a tomato soup, canned pears and cottage cheese.
I fell back into thinking that maybe Subway sandwiches and cafeteria food were the way to gain food strength on this day, but I was wrong. The sandwich was a total let down, and the corn fritters, which looked great from the outside, were not pleasing on the inside. I think this could have been more a matter of my always expecting corn fritters to be more savory, and their tendency to be rather sweet. Across from the hospital was Centennial Park and the Parthenon. A really great outdoors space, with all these magical glider benches. Any time I took a break from the hospital room I'd end up on one of these gliders, reading a book, making a phone call, eating a sandwich, or staring at my hands.
Dinner that day was a peanutbutter sandwich, chocolate cake and milk. Maybe this was another lunch? Or maybe this was when Mom started to get to decide what she was going to eat. Though I'm not sure she touched the cake. Some of the desserts were straight up disgusting to look at. I didn't try them to know for sure.

No comments: