Monday, May 15, 2006

Sushi Death Match...Not Really

I've been trying to upload two additional photographs of the other Mike's Special roll the boyfriend and I had last night but blogger's being a bit of a bitch, so you only get to see the second roll we ordered. Oh yes, the boyfriend and I went back to Tanoshi last night. Tanoshi and Hama Matsu both do this thing where you specify what kind of fish you like and a certain level of spicyness you like and then the sushi chef creates a roll tailor made to your specifications. One integral part of these rolls is the sauce that comes with the roll. I understand this as the sushi chef's attempt (understandable) to dissuade the eater from rote usage of soy sauce. So last night we had one special roll with white tuna and salmon in a mild sauce. The sauce was surprising...olive oil, soy sauce (I think) and herbs that included oregano and sage, drizzled over the white tuna/salmon roll. The fish was on top and the inside of the maki was very similar to (if not actually) a California Roll. The second roll we ordered was a spicier one, I thought we were ordering another white tuna roll but there was something lost in translation (if you will) and we ended up with straight up tuna. The photographs below are the spicy roll. On top is a spicy mayo sauce (much like what they mix tuna in when you order and spicy tuna roll) that he first spread on a piece of aluminum foil and toasted. There was also a slightly sweeter (and yet still spicy) sauce as well.
The boyfriend and I differ on which restaurant does the best 'creative roll'. I thought that the sauces at Tanoshi were far more interesting and gustatorily pleasing. While the boyfriend thought Hama Matsu's sauces were the superior (with the exception of the red ketchup like sauce on the spicy sushi mold we ordered). My one drawback about Tanoshi's special rolls was that I felt that Tanoshi gives less fish than Hama Matsu. Now a few weeks back I complained about House Of Sushi and Noodle's large portions but poor qualities and so this could seem like I can't make up my mind, but that's not really the case. It's just that these rolls are pretty expensive, filling and worth it-yes, but nonetheless in Tanoshi's rolls the fish was solely on the top of the roll. Beautifully sliced and high quality (I think) yet I kind of wanted a little more.
Both places are great. But if you're looking for a really unique roll tailor made to your specifications I say go to Tanoshi. The boyfriend says go to Hama Matsu...who you gonna believe?

No comments: