Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Frenchy Frenchy

Last night the boyfriend and I went to La Tache for dinner. And boy was it tasty. The boyfriend suggested we go because on Mondays they have a prix-fixe meal for, well we thought it was $23 but it ended up being $28. Three courses for the price of one, basically.

There was bread with a (I believe) rosemary infused butter.
I chose to go the appetizer, salad, entree route. The boyfriend, on the other hand, went with the appetizer, entree, dessert route. High road, low road? For my appetizer I had the escargots. I'm used to having escargots in their shells, though I understand that the chef puts the snails into their shells and that, in fact, the shells are for presentation more than anything else. So I was a little disappointed that they were shell-less, as I told the boyfriend "if I'm going to eat snails I want to remember that I'm eating snails". This was probably my least favorite course. The snails (I tried to think of a really excellent metaphor and this is all I could come up with) that have a texture reminiscent of a thick mushroom and some sort of shellfish but with an earthy taste to them, were in a white wine sauce and weren't bad...but they were almost too rich for me.
My Salad Lyonnaise, on the other hand, made me very happy. The salad had a base of haricots verts, pommes frites (yes french fries, not many, in a salad), frisse?, truffle vinaigrette and a poached egg. Superbly done. So tasty. So very very happy good tasty lovely lovely tasty yum. I mean, it was everything I wanted it to be. The poached egg was really wonderful, not the way I'd want it for breakfast, but perfect for the salad. The yolk became part of the dressing and oh my goodness, I need to eat this salad all the time.
I had the bourride, provencal fish stew, for my entree. This dish was also, like the escargots, very rich. But this time I greeted its richness with glee. Mussels, salmon, calamari and scallops in a rich white wine creamy sauce. Rich but good. The boyfriend had the rabbit pot au feu and if we were to go back, which we most certainly, I would consider getting his dish.

No comments: