Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Match Point

This past weekend the boyfriend went to Madison and kayaked around a lake. I did more sedentary things like watching movies and reading books. One of the movies I watched was Match Point. Last night the boyfriend also watched Match Point and it seems that he and I had rather different percepetions of Alex, the character played by Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.
I thought that, from almost the opening scene, we were being subtly told that Alex is a hustler...that he doesn't really like opera and is only reading Dostoevsky because he knows that the rich father loves it. I have many other thoughts along this line. The boyfriend thought that he wasn't such a calculating scumbag and that's what made the movie interesting to him. Have you seen this movie? Did you feel like Alex was, at the beginning, just lucky or hustly?

No comments: