Saturday, December 17, 2005

Sushi c/o Matsu Yama

This afternoon the boyfriend and I went to Lakeview and had sushi for lunch at Matsu Yama.
Their menu has a lot of great specialty rolls. And their miso soup bowl really did seem larger than the norm. Our waiter seemed vaguely and then crystally familiar. I became convinced he works at Furama and has, on occasion, tracked down shrimp toast for us. As we left the boyfriend asked him if this was so, and it was, I felt proud of my recognition.
We also had tea which was soothing and earthy.
Overall I was a little disappointed. My specialty roll (California sunset maybe?) had a sauce on top of it that had bananas in it (I have strong negative feelings about bananas). My yellow tail and scallion maki was a bit too fishy somehow. The wasabi tobikko was good, but not as chock full of the green lovelies. Upon leaving my stomach did a few weird turns that made me feel ooky. No vomit or actual sickness resulted but, well, it's never good to have an ooky stomach after a meal. I don't think I'm going to be giving it a second chance but I'm not sure I feel comfortable telling anybody else not to give a first one...though I would recommend a few other places before it.

No comments: