Saturday, December 03, 2005

It's Glogg Time

I forgot to recount the story of glogg. So now I will. Last week while it was snowing, the boyfriend and I went to the local video store to get movies (Blues Brothers and Ferris Bueller's Day Off). On the way there we noticed a sign in a bar, it was a neon sign, it read It's Glogg Time! and looked very festive. So, on the way back, we went in to try glogg. The bartender carded us. The boyfriend didn't have his driver's license but I did. She looked at us a little funny and said we looked young. I gave her my driver's license and told her that I would be a year older the very next day. She approved of my ID and gave me a glogg and told me it was four dollars. Seconds later she asked what I had given her, I said a five, she gave it back to me. I made a 'what are you doing? face' and she said it's your birthday tomorrow.

Seriously. The boyfriend ran back to the house and got his ID and ordered a glogg when he came back. I ordered a second one, this time putting my five down with confidence...again she refused to take it. This is a bar and bartender I had never seen before and yet she gave me two free drinks the day before my birthday. That's what I call nice.

Last night two writing friends and I frequented this bar again for glogg...a hot mixture of port, brandy, spices, and god knows what else. And once again the bartenders (different than the first time) were super nice...no free drinks but on top of things. Below is Glogg.
After the glogg we played Settlers of Catan. This is, in actuality, the first real game of Settlers of Catan played. It was very exciting to initiate two new people into it...I think they liked it...I know they had figured things out by the end (the boyfriend won...he's a jerk...not really).

2 comments:

J said...

Dude, Glogg is a magical Swedish drink which they sell at IKEA. Seth and Toby bought some and I still have Toby's bottle in my apartment. You can mix it with vokda, water or Reindeer's blood whichever you prefer. It's great.

Anonymous said...

Ever notice the startling similarities between Ferris Bueller and Blues Brothers? City of Chicago, of course, but dealing with a snooty waiter, Wrigley field, the number of shots of statues observing the action, the parade, prevalence of the car as character, etc.