Sunday, December 11, 2005

Diner

Last night after all the fun Catan time. I decided it was finally time to watch Diner, the latest Netflix movie I received. I don't remember exactly why I put it on my queue and so I wasn't all that excited when it showed up in my mailbox. It was a nice movie. What is it with movies about the 40s/50s/60s and young actors getting their big breaks? (I'm thinking about The Outsiders, Animal House, Diner and many more I'm sure).

This movie had a cast that included Steve Guttenberg, Mickey Rourke, Paul Reiser, Kevin Bacon and that guy from Wings. A funny cast in that all of them went on to careers but...well, does anybody really care about Paul Reiser or Steve Guttenberg anymore? They're famous but...

The movie was also the kind where nothing exactly happens. There is no real plot per se but instead a series of vignettes held together by 'the diner'. Kevin Bacon did a pretty nice job of being a rich wacky guy. Mickey Rourke was pretty amazing as a sleazy possible gangster, possible lawyer, actual hair dresser lothario. I liked it but I can't tell you what it was about. Growing older? The friendship of men? The early sixties? All of them.

(The last shot of the movie is the above first picture...all of them are listening to Paul Reiser give a toast...but in the bottom picture Paul Reiser has been put in. I thought that was funny).

No comments: