Saturday, December 17, 2005

Salon Em

After my last class of the semester I went to Salon Em. I went because my hair had not been cut or colored for six months. I went because I did. See, what I really want to talk about is the power of a good cut and color to make you (me) feel better about whatever size clothing you (I) wear or any other form of self loathing ( you (I) may be having. But it's a fickle power the hair power...also there's the entire sitting in front of a mirror forever while getting the power, so if anything you can feel worse about yourself after going to get your hair done.
But I digress. I don't actually want to write about that at all. I want to write a little about Salon Em. Salon Em is on Clark just a little north of Belmont. Here is what I liked about it, my hair guy (I think his name was Frank) sat me down asked me what I wanted, I told him and then (get this) we didn't say a SINGLE word to each other for almost an hour! It was amazing...no 'so what are you doing for the holidays' or (this one really freaks me out) 'are you married? have any kids?' etc etc. Just silence. I knitted away and he foiled away and it was nice.
What I didn't like about Salon Em--constant techno music. Now if I was a man just getting a quick cut I'd have to hear, probably, about four songs...but as a young lady getting color and a cut I think I had to listen to, my goodness, at least twenty songs with bad female singers and that bass beat that won't quite leave your head, it's like a worm...or an aneurysm.

Because it was my first visit I got 20% off which was pretty sweet. I also like the new colors. He circa 1996 Friends/197? Charlie's Angels-ed me which I got a pretty big kick out of...I was way feathered. But the feathers unfurled within seconds of being outside in the windy city.

That is all.
Oh, isn't that, like, the scariest photograph ever? Photoshop doesn't quite do what I tell it to. Sigh.
Oh yeah, so if you go to Salon Em, mention that I sent you and I get a discount (this is both for guys and girls, this place, in fact I saw far more men getting their hair cut than women). Also if you mention it's your first time they'll give you a 20% discount...sweet.

1 comment:

tobs said...

um... that's going to replace the whale in my nightmares.