Thursday, December 08, 2005

Pho c/o Tank Restaurant

After a fairly productive day of school related work. I felt a strong need to a)eat some kind of Asian brothy noodle concoction and b)eat somewhere I hadn't already eaten and blogged about. And so, the boyfriend and I braved the rapidly increasing drifts of snow and made our way to Pho Xe Tang, also known as Tank Restaurant. We had an order of the non vegetarian spring rolls (see below), they had both shrimp and pork...I hadn't expected the pork but it tasted quite good.
I ordered Pho #43, Beef Broth with beef, beef and more beef but no tripe or tendon. (Tripe especially freaks me out, though I've never actually tried it). My pho was accompanied with basil leaves, bean sprouts, a wedge of lime and jalapeno peppers.
We also ordered a green tea bubble tea. I just couldn't believe that the one I had at Furama was supposed to taste so licorice-y. I was right to doubt, this tea tasted exactly how I expected the first one would...not licorice-y...and the tapioca was green (awesome!).
This is my pho.
This is my pho all done up with neon lights...no that is not a gasoline/oil sheen, just a reflection....don't worry.
The boyfriend had steamed rice noodles with marinated beef slices.
I have, in the past, shied away from pho proper. Opting for brothy egg noodle soups with seafood. Tonight I tried something new and was delighted. The beef broth is much richer in taste than its chicken or seafood colleagues and a far more addictive. The beef is sliced so exquisitely thin it's just delectable. Oh my what is up with all these flourishy adjectives? (I just used another fancy adjective to describe my adjectives, my goodness!). My huge bowl of pho was $4.95 and I had more than enough left over for tomorrow's lunch...or dinner.
Update: at 7:45pm it was still totally snowing.

No comments: