Wednesday, August 16, 2006

One Year! Whoo Hoo!

Today marks this blog's one year anniversary. In terms of when I actually started posting regularly not so much when I actually started it. It's kind of exciting. Well, no, it's not exciting but it is a nice benchmark of how time goes by and that, to me, is kind of exciting. I've completed one whole year of graduate school, I've completed one whole year of living in Chicago, I've made some friends, I've done some writing; it's been quite a year. I googled 'first year anniversary blog' and these are some of the images that appeared. I quite like them.
Before I moved to Chicago I was at a loss. I had spent the two years since graduating from college working at either a failing restaurant or a just making it sheep farm. I had applied to grad school but hadn't been accepted anywhere, just waitlisted, and that was pretty sad. I was trying to figure out where to go next and it was looking like New York City...except that no one would hire me for any of the many publishing type jobs I applied for (big surprise). I had moved all my stuff and a good helping of the boyfriend's stuff into a storage unit near Kingston, New York and I was living with my parents in Tennessee. Living off my extremely limited savings and wondering how I would buy my cigarettes when that money ran out. It was scary. I'm aware that I might get that scary feeling again come this May/graduation from the program. But for now I'm not scared, I'm rather content. Time goes by and all that jazz.
Today I'm going to drive M.Lady to a cat adoption place and she's going to get a cat. I am going to pet other cats and take photographs of them. It's going to be great. I hope.


My dear college chum is coming to visit tomorrow from NYC. This is very exciting for me because I like her and we used to live next door to one another. We would sit on our shared back porch and drink beer or Maker's Mark and talk about one thing or another. Sometimes she would poke her head out her bathroom window whilst brushing her teeth.
I am trying to decide where I will take her to eat. I'm torn between Tanoshi and Hama Matsu in terms of sushi. And I still have a hankering for proper Indian food. Perhaps we'll go to the Hancock building and drink cocktails while looking at the skyline, I hear that's nice, I've never done it to know one way or the other. I guess I could let her express her own interests and preferences. That wouldn't be so bad.

2 comments:

cc said...

Well thanks you kindly. Man, being one of one hundred chefs...all in the tight confines of 'below deck' is not something I'm hoping for...though you never know!

Anonymous said...

I'm just looking at your blog at the library because the light setting is so much better. Look how cute "college chum" looks. I couldn't see her face at home.