Monday, September 05, 2005

Pearl

Today I finished reading Pearl by Mary Gordon. Yesterday I read an excerpt from a book called 'Book Lust', the excerpt went a little like this:

If you are under the age of fifty, then fifty pages is the most you should read of a book you're not enjoying. If you are over fifty, subtract your age from one hundred and that's the number of pages you should read.

I was not enjoying Pearl at fifty pages. The narrator, who shall (and did) remain nameless, was a little too pleased with themself and their omnipotence. The premise of the story and much of the way it unfolded was interesting and well-written. But, overall, I would not be telling the next person I saw to read it....I'd tell them to read a Margaret Atwood book instead...like Cat's Eye or Oryx and Crake (you should read those).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nannies and New Jersey: What's on tonight
The second week of the US Open starts today, and USA has coverage starting at 7pm.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a triple play poker site. It pretty much covers triple play poker related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)