Friday, September 23, 2005

The Chimichanga Project


For a while now I have wanted to do a photo project entitled the Chimichanga Tour (or project). It's conceptual pretense is this: in my experience all Mexican restaurants have completely different presentations/definitions of chimichangas. I wanted to go on a tour of the United States with my four by five camera and take big, beautiful pictures of chimichangas. The point, or at least one of them, would be to be funny while exploring the way one word can have a variation of meanings. I mean, love comes in many different visual forms but it's much easier (and far more entertaining) to possibly make a point through chimichangas. Alas, I have no time to go all over the country with a four by five, so instead I'm going all over Chicago with a digital camera.


This was stop one. Fiesta Mexicana in Uptown, near the Lawrence red line stop. They have lunch specials. The chimichanga special was, obviously the chimichanga, along with rice, beans, sour cream and guacamole. Oh and one complimentary soda. I was the only person in the restaurant. Spanish television was on at full volume and one of the women was singing songs to herself.

My server, after giving me the check. Asked me if I was in school and where. And then she asked me if I liked it and where I was from. I don't think I've had such a curious waitress. She was nice. I think perhaps, and not for the first time, that she was curious because she saw me taking photographs. Who knows.

The chips were unsalted and hearty. The salsa had a kick. The chimichanga was stuffed with shredded chicken, beans, onions and the occasional tomato. It wasn't overly flavorful and I only ate half of it. The meal cost (with tax) $6.70.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

stop the gnawing! just stop!