Saturday, September 10, 2005

Guiness Oyster Festival




Well. My neighbor told me about an oyster festival happening today in Wicker Park and I just had to go. I am an avid lover of oysters. There is an oyster bar in Grand Central Station (NYC) that on any day has at least ten different varieties of oysters, shucked to order right in front of you...I love this oyster bar. The oysters range from the size of your pinky to the size of your fist. They run the gamut from incredibly sweet to unbelievably brackish (brackish?). I am writing about this oyster bar because it was the model I had in my mind when I pictured an 'oyster festival'. In other words, I imagined many little booths on a closed off street each having their own special breed of oyster (Well Fleet, Tasmanian etc). So, I was quite dismayed when, after passing one booth that seemed to only have one kind of oyster, I reached the end of the closed off street without encountering another oyster dedicated booth. Beer, oh yeah they had that. If you wanted Kabobs you had a number of options. But oysters at the oyster festival, just the one. I went back to the booth and ordered myself three raw oysters, this cost me seven dollars. I then realized the oysters were pre-shucked (attached to the shell but already pried open. The oysters were not very tasty, cold at least but not juicy or succulent or, well, worth seven dollars (plus the five to get into the blocked street). So, my point is, I guess, that the Wicker Park Guiness Oyster Festival is lame. L-A-M-E.

No comments: