Thursday, April 24, 2008

Book Club Tea Party

On Monday my mother hosted a bunch of ladies for their monthly book club meet up. They sat and chatted about the book, kind of, while I slaved away making sandwiches. I didn't slave.

The book, something like Three Swans, is a memoir tracking three generations of Chinese women. So the refreshments had a bit of a theme.

My mother made a phenomenal poppy seed cake...with lemon, maybe?
My mother also made a walnut spread with scallions and red onions. I faithfully buttered, spread and de-crustified about twenty of those kind of sandwiches.
My contribution was a prawn sandwich. Shrimp with a lime, cilantro mayonnaise on white bread...also decrustified. I was inspired by C's bachelorette party in terms of the prawns.
Cute little egg rolls, not handmade I'm afraid.

And a few other little treats...and coffee and tea, of course.
Don't forget to add suggestions to the car list!

2 comments:

J said...

Jesus those look amazing.

Damn you Passover. I want some crustless prawn sandwiches-on bread!

Also, I think Toby and I had to read that book in some poli sci class in college. I think I liked it.

cc said...

Well you could always try a matzo equivalent. There'd be less prepping--no crusts to speak of.

Except, wait, aren't shrimp never kosher? Would it be worse to eat shrimp during Passover than, technically, any other time?

Obviously you eat shrimp, so obviously you're not a constant Kosher eater. So. Um. I don't know what my point could possibly be.