Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Remember

I google searched Carter Waghorne. I put his name in quotes and then I took his name out of quotes. I added the name of the high school he and I both attended. We were both members of the class of 1999. We went to a small Quaker boarding school outside of Philadelphia. Its name was George School. We were both boarding students, he was from Texas and I was from Maryland. One of my freshmen roommates came from Maine, the other from Trevose, Pennsylania . Other girls in my dorm were from Ohio, the Bronx, Princeton and Mexico. There were twenty-eight boarding girls and, I would assume, a rough approximate of that number of boarding boys. The total number of students at the school, including day students, was approximately 525.

There aren't that many direct hits in all the combinations I searched. A few were on George School's website and those that did pop up were quick references, a mention of Carter or his parents in the online copy of The Georgian, our alumni magazine. When I google image searched his name nothing of any relevance came up at all. If I searched for Carter on Friendster or MySpace or Facebook I would not find him. I might find twenty, or so, other Carter Waghornes in England or Canada or Texas or Missouri but the Carter Waghorne I am searching for, his face and location, would not come up. No matter how many pages I scrolled through.

It will be ten years today. Ten years since the day Carter died. Or the day after Carter died. To be honest I'm not sure which one is more important for me: the date he died or the first full day after learning about it. Ten years and I have started to imagine or wonder what kind of results would have surfaced on the internet, if Carter hadn't died. He would have been twenty seven. I still have a hard time thinking of guys my age as men, but, well, that's what he would have been: a man.

Carter was a blonde boy from Texas. That's what I thought about him when I was a freshmen. As the time went on I could add more descriptive words to him but, at the base of it, that is what Carter will always be in my eyes. We were in hydrology together our freshmen year and, even then, he had this husky voice with just a little drawl to it. This god awfully short hair cut. Very preppy.

Carter died of meningococcal meningitis. The day after his death those of us who had close contact with him in the last days of his life were required to take pills to make sure that we didn't contract the disease ourselves. One friend was hesitant to take the pills. I recall her saying that she wouldn't want to destroy something that was a part of Carter. No, she didn't say it exactly like that but I was sixteen and that's the best I can remember. A side effect of the drug was a noticeable darkening of urine, ranging from a deep orange to rust red. The school had procedures for boarding students sleeping off campus. They needed our parents' permission (either in written or verbal form) and the assurance that an adult would be at the house where we would be sleeping. I believe that the deans slightly suspended those rules for us. Filling one, maybe two, vans with a collection of Carter's closest friends and driving us to Princeton, where B's parents lived. There was a stop at a grocery store where they loaded us up with snacks and non-alcoholic beverages and dropped us off. Technically there was an adult in B's four story mansion of a house (her parents were out of town and the man was either house-sitting or watching after B's little sister), but we never saw him. It was at that house that we stayed up late, attempting to process the fact that this boy we had known was gone forever. We all pissed into the same toilet bowl without flushing (whose idea this was I don't know, I believe we thought of it as an experiment), thus my knowledge of the range of colors the medication could make. That night I did not sleep. We all stayed up late but eventually most everyone went to sleep. I did not. I smoked contraband cigarettes and took a walk on Princeton's new morning streets. It was a furtive walk and I did not walk far, for fear of getting lost or caught.

Would he be married by now, I wonder? Most of us are not, but a few of us are. Would he have gone to an East Coast college? Or would he have returned home to Texas? In high school he had two girl friends, both beautiful slender brunettes. Would he have married another in that mold? Would they have children? Would he come to our five year or ten year reunion? He had a wonderful laugh, Carter did. I can imagine a room full of the class of 1999 and hearing it through the crowd and walking in that direction. He would hug me and ask after me and I would ask after him. We'd make a few jokes. He would tell me about his college years and new job and (if this was our five year reunion) I would ask him how much money he made per year before telling him how much I made (less than $15,000--this was not about bragging). He would introduce me to his wife, or he would be alone and I would wonder a moment why I never had a crush on him.

I am sifting through my memories, trying to find enough I haven't already written or spoken of countless times before. I find new ones, but so small, more like fragments of fuller moments of time. Meeting him in the post office, junior year, and talking about magazines. He once said I had curves in a way that didn't make me feel chubby. I still have the dress I was wearing when he said that, casually, in the midst of a circling conversation with others on a bench outside. Carter in Debbie Dimicco's French 3 class. I can never remember his exact nature in that class, just Debbie's exasperation with him. He loved the language but….but what? But he came late to class? But he talked when he should have been listening? Yes, probably those things and more. But Debbie loved him as much as she was frustrated by him. A specific Hawaiian shirt he wore, a lot, that last year is more vivid to me than any of the tee shirts or button downs he may have worn during our freshmen year.

At our school we had study hall for two hours each evening, after which we were allowed half an hour to go outside and socialize before checking into our dorms for the night. The last time I saw Carter was during this half hour period of time. I was having a hard time of things that night. Carter came up to me and hugged me, something he made a point of doing because I always seemed so uncomfortable about it. Let me specify that he didn't hug me to make me uncomfortable but, rather, because he thought (rightfully so) that I shouldn't feel that way. So he hugged me and, in that deep voice, said he felt sick. I was impatient, having my own small emotional crisis, and told him to go to the nurse's if he felt bad. I went towards the post office and I have no idea where he went next. I know he didn't go to the infirmary. By the same time, the next night, Carter was in the hospital. He may have already died. I think that's true. I remember sitting on a bench with E. and J. and seeing Jim Grumbach, a dean, walking towards the auditorium-where a good number of Carter's close friends were rehearsing for a play. Shakespeare, I think it was. And this is not me revising a memory, this is true: I knew when I saw that man walking to the play rehearsals, that he was going to go break the news. I am too rational a person to blame myself, or anyone else, for what happened but, at the same time, I can't help but wish that I was some kind of psychic-that I could have known that he was more than just sick and that I would insist on walking him to the infirmary and that the nurses would also have some kind of second sight and know that his aching body was more than a flu symptom.

There is a monument at George School to Carter. A horseshoe shaped bench of sorts made of brick and concrete, with two shelves for optimum sitting capacity. In the center there is a plaque. On it are the imprints of bare feet and a haiku. A haiku a number of us wrote collaboratively, using an ancient ancestor of google chat. Last month an email circulated amongst some of us who attended that strange session: 15 or so teenagers typing to each other, occasionally laughing or sniffling, but not talking directly to one another: given the task of finding words to represent how we were feeling and who Carter was. It was an email about time changing, how this date (or yesterday's date) was always remembered but as our lives change…as we grow up…it's harder to commemorate it properly. One email was from A. He now teaches at George School and he shared the fact that the monument, meant to sit on, now is referred to as 'The CW'. There was another smaller memorial on our campus for another boy who died too soon while attending the school. I always passed it and wondered what that was like for his friends and parents. Then I found out. But the boy himself and the exact impact of his death was abstracted and hidden from me and, of course, it's no different for Carter. Kids drape themselves on one another and that bench, involved in their own small dramas, understanding the concept of Carter's death but not that he was a real boy. That the bare foot print is a direct reference to Carter's tendency, especially Junior year, to go around without shoes on his feet (in another email I've received the reason for the barefeet has been qualified: that Carter said he thought better when he wasn't wearing shoes).

We were not the best of friends. I feel a fraud, often enough, when I write or speak of him, as if I don't have as much of a right. I had to call one of Carter's closer friends, W, who had gone to George School through our sophomore year but left after that. I still remember how excited and surprised she was to hear from me, it was the middle of the afternoon and she wondered how I could have possibly known she was at home. She started to say why it was she was home and I cut her off. I cut off her excitement and pleasure at hearing my voice and told her that a boy she had known was dead. I also remember calling my parents and my mother making an innocent comment about the boy who died. Perhaps this is the root of why I feel a fraud, that my mother didn't understand that he was my friend.

Technology has surpassed Carter's existence. I understand why there are only references to Carter's death on the internet, he didn't live long enough to have his name pop up in any other context. But I do like to imagine his MySpace page:

Photographs of him with his Texan friends, on vacation somewhere snowy. Or a shot of him with his arms enveloping a girl and kissing the top of her head. Or a smiling Carter, in a cap and gown, with his parents and brothers around him. A few shots of him, blurry eyed and holding a big glass of beer, smiling dangerously. Perhaps there would be a cheesy poem of his own making, or a very good poem. A song or two from our friend A's new album, playing in the background. I would not hesitate to add him to my friends, to keep track of him as I do so many others from that time. Glad to know that he was doing well, alive and happy.
---

This is a piece I will be filling in for a while to come, I think.

Please go here and listen to It's Fine To Lie.
You could also go here and read a more put together piece I wrote ten years ago.

--
I've been thinking about what is missing from this. Mainly the grief. Our actions that night, when each hall of girls and boys was gathered together by their hall teacher and told the news. My own inability to sleep. The dreams we all eventually had, vivid dreams with a very living Carter wondering what all the fuss was about. The fact that at that time French exchange students were on campus. Sitting on Main Dorm's front porch with L and A, A singing a little song her voice trembling. The meetings for worship. The occasional laughter. The more frequent tears. The homework we didn't care about. The classes we still attended. I remember going to collection (our 15 minute equivalent of homeroom) and waiting for E to appear. E, who had been so close to Carter. I remember not knowing what I could possibly say to her, so hugging her instead of saying any thing. That night, I think, J. and I went home with E. A strange threesome, having never really socialized that much together outside classrooms. Where were E.'s closer girl friends? Why didn't J. stay in the boys' dorm? My writing the linked above little piece about the loss that same night we learned the news. What else could I do? Then, not even putting my name on it, walking to the dean's office the next morning and handing it to someone. I have been told, accurately or not, that it was read at Carter's funeral. This may not be true. I didn't go. This is one thing I regret. I could have asked my parents or somehow gotten there but, even then, I felt removed from the others. Of course, in some ways, we all felt removed from one another. While, paradoxically, we came together. I don't think about the school community as a whole. I think of the large number of us who had all loved Carter. We were made so aware, at a younger age than many, what the loss of a friend feels like. I listened to Terri Gross interview Phillip Roth a few years back. He was talking about aging and how we try to prepare ourselves for the loss of our parents but that we don't really think, even at 70 or whatever, about losing our friends. The loss of Carter made all the friendships more precious. And then there are more memories of him than the five or six I've mentioned. He and L dressed up for the Junior prom, he in a slightly 1970s suit and she with her 1920s flapper hair. More, more, more.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I google his name too. Quotes and all. Glad this showed up today. It helped.

cc said...

I'm glad.

Anonymous said...

I was one of Carter's friends in Texas. He and I grew up together and as hard as it was to see him leave for school, I know he was so happy. I had something come over me today and I just wanted to find him in some way. Then, I found your site. Your memory of him was so perfect - it made me cry. Here I am, ten years after he passed, and I still feel like he is right next to me. I know in my heart, he watches over all of his friends and family. We were all lucky to have known him.

cc said...

Thanks Amanda, I'm glad I could help you through a moment/share a memory.

Katie B Corbin said...

This is one of the most eloquently written things. And one of the truest. I understand about feeling like a fraud for feeling the way I feel, or felt for him. I wasn't there with you all the last year and no one called to tell me. I didn't find out until two weeks after the fact when casually having a conversation with someone from G, and I alternated crying and feeling numb for days. He just inspired that feeling from people. When he was talking to you, you were the most important and interesting person in the world. As long as it has been I still miss him and wonder of him like you do. Thoughts come at strange times when I hear a snippet of a song we used to sing together (being two of the few people on campus with an appreciation for country music) on our way to meeting or seeing someone with a passing resemblence. It was funny, I was in the airport waiting to get on the plane for my honeymoon and I saw a picture of him on a tv screen. It was so surreal, but the first of several adds I saw his mother do for the meningitis vaccine. He may not be here, or have a facebook page, but he is certainly not forgotten.

Felicia Mode Alexander, M.Ed. said...

Here we are on April 16, 2009. As I write this, I am sitting in the room at GS where I still tutor kids like Carter and where I spent many hours tutoring him as well. My current students have left for the night and I am alone with Carter thoughts. The night before Carter died, I also saw him, but he was not yet feeling ill, or at east he did not share this with me. I was due to enter the hospital the next day for surgery and Carter had such sweet words and a hug(always the hugger) to comfort me as I was nervous about what I was facing that next day. That is my last memory of Carter. I found out about his illness during a visit to me in the hospital by the father of another GS tutoring student of mine. Carter was desperately ill, but still alive at that point.... His parents were on their way from Dallas to Newtown...hoping to make it in time. I remember with gratitude how my six or seven GS tutoring students (along with some of their parents from as far away as California!) came to my home while I recuperated and we had our own little memorial service. We all told Carter stories and laughed through our tears. My family planted a young flowering plum tree in my backyard. We dubbed it the Carter Tree. Today on the 11th anniversary of Carter's passing, his tree stands tall; and quite appropriately it is in full bloom and is now home to a family of goldfinches.
Felicia

Anonymous said...

I knew Carter only as the older boy who made me feel better about being the only freshman selected for some sort of French contest in '97-'98. Every so often the memory of him manifests in my head as clearly as anything that's happened over the last ten years; this brilliantly blond boy, telling dirty jokes in French that I only halfway understood. I remember crying in MFW; remember taking those stupid pills, or speaking to him that last night before Jason carried him to the Health Center and he vanished from all of us forever. Sometimes realizing that I'm almost ten years older than he ever got to be moves me to tears. Getting the meningitis vaccine before shipping off to (first college and then) the US Army reduced me to sobbing. I'm glad there's someone else out there who still thinks about him.

Eli Reusch said...

Today, I made my gift to GS's annual fund, and decided to make it in Carter's memory. I googled because I couldn't for the life of me remember if there was an "e" on the end of Waghorne and ended up here.

I was in my first year at Earlham when I got the news about Carter, and it was devastating. I know we prefects weren't supposed to have favorite prefectees, but I'm only human. Carter was a part of my favorite crew of Orton boys (along with Toby, Jamie, Seth and others whose names I have lost in the fog of time since 1996-7), and when I got the news, I booked a flight back to Philly right away. I couldn't imagine not experiencing this with that group of guys who really loved the hell out of that kid.

Carter was far too awesome for this world, but I guess cruel fate didn't realize just how much we needed him. It breaks my heart to think of what he could have accomplished. He had that mix of dashing good looks and charm that would either be his ticket to the top or would get him into a mountain of trouble. I really miss that kid.

-Eli, GS Class of '97

Anonymous said...

Happy would/should have been 30th birthday, Carter.

Stacey said...

Your post is over two years old now but I knew Carter from a summer camp we attended in Colorado. He touched a part of my heart that never died. I found out the day before my sophomore prom and our prom was held at the last place I was with Carter. I am visiting Dallas, not far from where he grew up and I had a dream about him last night. I had to search to see if maybe he didn't actually die. I miss him everyday. I will always be his brown eyed girl.

Eryn Wettlin said...

Every once in a while I google Carter as well. This is the first time I found anything. I was so lost at the time of his death, I started to address my journal entries as 'letters to carter', and it helped. I miss him everyday with all of my heart, and after reading all of these posts, I know that I am not alone. Thank you all for remembering him. He lives in all of us as long as we keep him alive there. With me, Carter will never truly be gone, he'll always be my GS buddy.

JDF said...

Googling Carter I found this site. It brings a lot of it back. 13 years is a long time. And yet it all happened at a time when our minds were such fertile ground for memory. Such a real experience and here I am reflecting on it virtually.

Danny said...

I have been thinking about Carter recently, not sure why, though I'm happy to see others who have done the same over the years. I was head of the dorm he lived in the year before he died; none of us who were at GS that April night and the next day, cold but clear, will ever forget those days, or Carter. He was a beautiful boy and a dancer, as well. In fact, I just listened to a song that was played as a tribute to him at a dance show that week, called "Life is Eternal" by Carly Simon. Every time I hear that song, I think of Carter.."Life is eternal, love is immortal, death is only a horizon."I am no longer at GS, but will have Carter in my heart and memory forever. Thank you Carter for bringing such dignity and grace to our lives.

Julie said...

I never met Carter Waghorne. His parents were dear friends of my parents, so I attended his funeral in Dallas to pay my respects. That was a life-changing event for me. So many people with such varied personalities....visibly touched by this free-spirited soul named Carter. I never met him, but this is what I know for sure: he accomplished what he was sent here to do. When someone misses him, it is expressed with love. When someone needs to smile, his memory makes them smile. There was a simple wisdom in every hug that Carter gave and that truth is still shared among those who knew him. If you love someone, tell them. Don't wait. Don't wait.

Carolyn and Rick created this incredibly beautiful resting place for Carter. I go there sometimes because it reminds me of things that I shouldn't forget. There is a footprint on his gravestone. When I close my eyes I really feel that Carter understood all the things that some people take a lifetime to learn...or never learn. I marvel at that. His life was fleeting but joyful. He didn't leave with the sorrow of unspoken words. He took nothing with him. He left it all here. Thirteen years on....he's still here.

Peace to all....

Chuck said...

Tomorrow is his birthday and I came across this blog and am sitting here sobbing as I realize how special all of his friends are to remember him and recount their stories. Carter was a special person and I am glad to know that he had such wonderful friends.

Anonymous said...

I'm a graduate of HPHS, class of 1999. I knew Carter from middle school to early high school. I still think about him from time to time, like on this ordinary Tuesday night in the year 2014.

Anonymous said...

Now it's 2017. Just wrapping up another day at a desk job. Memories lead to googling. This is a wonderful memorial. There was another page in memory of him put up a long time ago. I can't remember where it was and I can't find it now. I hope this one stays up forever.

I'm from HPHS Class of 1999. I knew Carter from middle school. A friend to talk to in the PE locker room at McCulloch. I was not one of the popular kids. It was very nice of him to transcend middle school social boundaries. He was way ahead of everyone.