Sunday, April 13, 2008

Lunch c/o Viet Huong, Huntsville

On Tuesday...or Thursday? The parents and I went to Huntsville, Alabama. A large reason we made the trek was to start getting an idea of what kind of car I might buy and how much it might cost. After checking out a Toyota Yaris, Honda Civic and Honda Fit (though I didn't actually test drive the Fit) we went to lunch at Viet Huong. This was my first visit to the restaurant, while my parents have had a few more opportunities to try out their cuisine. I had a soy bean milk drink with tapioca ball. But it was actually balls. Tiny little ones, similar but not the same as those you might find in a bubble tea. Smaller and softer and capable of being slurped up a standard straw--no over sized straws here.
Each of us started with an eggroll. The roll was served nice and hot and very crispy and the filling was more interesting, though still a little mysterious, than a standard Chinese egg roll. The dipping sauce was a bit a disappointment. It had the nice sweetness one expects but not any of the spice...and I swear I tasted ketchup or something ketchup-like in it.
I ordered S12. This was clear and egg noodles topped with seafood and barbequed pork. Though, actually, I looked and looked but didn't find a singe piece of pork. I never really learn my lesson in certain mom and pop asian restaurants. That lesson being that when they said scallops, calamari and shrimp they really mean the smallest, strangest scallops, rubbery as all get out calamari and equally anemic shrimp. The dish came with a side of soup. Which was some of the richest chicken broth I've ever had. I couldn't quite decide if I was amazed by it or if it was really just salted chicken stock out of a box. I ate it either way. The noodles' flavor wasn't bad but it was a certain kind of flavor, one that you can find in Thai and Chinese cuisine as well. Perhaps MSG, perhaps not. The portions were plentiful and I didn't finish all that was put down before me. My parents had Pho.
I'd go back and try something else before definitely deciding about this place.

2 comments:

fween said...

my blog is about japanese food especially sushi, today i just came across your site bc i made eggrolls. please link to my site.
http://foodsushi.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Since I'm guessing you weren't satisfied with the meal that you ate there, I recommended you to taste the Clay Pot or the Pho. They're both really delicious. I heard tons and tons of good reviews about those two dishes. Another tip for you, is to try the spring rolls, they're really good, you should really try them. I've been a customer for years and have always been satisfied. :)