Friday, April 25, 2008

The Next Step

The suggestions for my new car's names have often made me laugh out loud. And I thank all those who participated in the first part of this endeavor. If you were late to this game but would still like to suggest a few, I'm happy to hear them. As of now, though, I find myself in a particular bind...one of the suggestions is the perfect fit (ha) for me. So instead of allowing you to name the car, I'm allowing you the honor of giving the car a nickname. I know. Not as much fun. But Jen's suggestion of Duckie really stuck with me. You know Duckie from Pretty in Pink? Always loyal to Molly Ringwald, faithfully her friend and desperately in love with her....an awesome lipsyncher/dancer in record stores and goofy, goofy, goofy. I believe I'd like this car to be my Duckie. Always there and always trying to please even when I'm not as considerate.
But Duckie should have an alias, a qualifier, an AKA. And that, I'll need some help with....the poll will tell you which made the final cut but I'd like to take a minute to honorably mention a few.

Blanche I liked because then the car would always be reliant on the kindness of strangers...which is nice...except that our world is falling apart and people aren't always so kind...and didn't Blanche sell her body for money? Not necessarily the best character trait in a car...lack of loyalty. And she was crazy.

I liked Seth Firebird and Seth Pomerengay. It was tough to only include one on the poll...though even including one makes me feel vaguely uncomfortable...except for how funny it is. See, these are both direct references to a friend from high school. So, yeah, both funny and weird at the same time. I almost want to combine the two: Pomerengay Firebird.

Ride Whore was nice because, well, I call a lot of things whores. All of your mothers, for example. Also, Meow Cat's full name had whore in it (Meow Cat aka Meow Cat Slut Whore).

Pliny the elder references something I don't understand but it has a certain ring to it.

Yoshi was nice because it reminded me of the countless hours I played Super Ninendo when a youth. How he pooped/laid eggs and weren't they always an extra life? Who doesn't need extra lives? If my car pooped extra lives that would be kind of cool.

Black Hole Where My Money Goes is too true for comfort. I'd like to forget it.

W. Somerset your mom is another great play on sounds and on my own personality...ie that I like to refer everything back to your mother.

Jane Fonda was also clever.

The slew of Frenchy suggestions were fun in the way they sounded and the meanings many of them had.

In fact, so many of them were great, and I wish I could just have them all. Alas, I cannot.

Let the voting begin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my the choices for the AKA are all so...fraught. Such intense monikers or potential monikers, so contrary to the Duckie energy. I am leaning towards Fickle but then you don't want a fickle car when you live somewhere with more than one season. The rest are so er um manly and aggressive...I guess I will vote later! Maybe...I recently acquired a dog named Dude, and rapidly changed the name (altho he is such a horrible counter-cruiser and food hooverer I should bestow Little Suck on him and take it out of the running for Duckie's AKA) so to give the car the nickname of The Dude won't work at all for me...Tough broad choices for what looks to be a really swell loyal Duckie of a car...alter egos be tricky, missy!

Anonymous said...

I'm so chuffed that my suggestion made it!

Unknown said...

i think the name fits! glad i could be of service, now can you name my kid?!! haha.