Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Restaurant Week at Tequila's

So for months now L. and C. have told me about the glories of dinner at Tequila's, but we've never quite gotten our acts together to go. When we last met up we went to Cochon because they had plans to go to Tequila's with another set of friends later that week, which was fine by me but I still wanted to go. I asked my most stalwart of eating companions LW if she wanted to go. She did not. I called up Mr. Ass last minute to see if he was interested. He was not. So I decided to ask this guy I'd been communicating with online if he'd like to make the segue to actual face time over Tequila's three course meal. He did. It was a rainy evening, but Tequila's was warm and friendly, definitely bustling and celebratory in its overall vibe. Maybe not celebratory. Convivial? In any case, we both started with margaritas.
The chips, salsa, pico de gallo and pickled veggies that came at the beginning of the meal were definitely above average. The pickled veggies were surprisingly spicy, that kind of spicy that makes your eyes widen and for a minute you're not sure that the burning feeling in your mouth will ever go away ... but then it does and you're left with a perverse desire to do it again.
For my first course I ordered the ceviche, but the photographs I took were atrocious, so no proof for you. It was a generous portion and I liked it on the whole. For my main course I chose to go with the breaded and fried fish stuffed with guacamole and finished with a mango sauce. I liked the fish and the guac, but the sweetness of the mango weirded me out a little bit. My eat mate ordered the surf and turf of steak and shrimp and seemed to enjoy it pretty well.
For dessert I went with the tres leches, which looked and tasted nothing like I expected.
It wasn't a bad meal, but I think I went against some of my natural preferences in an effort to try new things to my disadvantage. I think I probably should have gone with their chile relleno entree and flan dessert. For never having spoken and knowing very little about one another, I'd say that the dinner as far as being a kind of date went pretty well. Though we haven't seen each other since. Hmpf.

No comments: