Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cheese and Wine Pairing Extravaganza c/o McCrossen's

McCrossen's is a versatile place. One night you can be drinking beer and throwing darts, the next you can dress up and sit in the dining room and enjoy a cheese/wine/food pairing crazy fest. This is, of course, exactly what I did last week. This was my third opportunity to attend this event (see #1 and #2). While we waited for the event to start in earnest, complimentary glasses of a Moscat that I didn't hate were given...usually it's just so overwhelmingly sweet, but this had a certain fizzy quality to it and a little bite that didn't make it unpalatable (to me). The first course featured: Xarel-lo "Calcari," Pares Balta wine, which I remember liking. I may have to start taking notes to be able to say anything worthwhile about the wines. The cheese was Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam from Petaluman, California. If you love double or triple cream cheeses, then you will love this (and we should probably be friends). This was not only creamy, it had a little more going on as far as flavor. Ugh. So delicious. LW and I, along with BMo and his wife, all were a little miffed that instead of being given a little plate for our cheeses, we were given napkins. This caused some concern when the creaminess of the cheese started wanting to mind meld with the napkin. There was also a moment where everyone at the table except me had gotten the cheese and I had a moment of fear, as both servers continued on their way, that I would be cheese-less....which is the equivalent of spinsterhood for me. That makes no sense. Let's move on.
The food element of this dish were the most darling scallops ever, served with pork belly, sauerkraut and mustard. Tender, tiny, lovely little things they were. And while I didn't 100% pick up on the belly, the sauerkraut was a nice (and surprising) accompaniment.
Next up was a wine: Tokaji Furmint Sec, Kralyuduar. This was a wine from Hungary and it fit the theme of the wines for that evening: funky, esoteric, unlikely to be had by the likes of me ever before. And I mean that in the best way. I'd never had it and it was funky, but in a way that would lead to my wanting a second glass. The cheese element was Twin Maple Farms Hudson Red. This was some of the table's fave. It had a serious rind and wasn't messing around.
Speaking of not messing around. T. T. was not messing around. My god. This Rabbit "Porchetta" with speck, swiss chard, PX and lavendar. Ugh. At the end of the evening I told T. something like I was angry at him over the rabbit. But I meant that I was angry at him for making something so good. And I wasn't actually angry at all. The lavender presence was unexpected but just perfect. The rabbit wrapped in speck. I have no words other than 'disgusting' (as in disgustingly amazing). My plate was completely clean after this course.
Next up were two reds, the first was Zweigelst, Zum Martin Sepp. I gotta say that the table as a whole wasn't all that enamored of this wine. Though after the GM, L., came around and told us a bit more about it we at least understood it a bit better. The cheese, on the other hand, was another hit for me. A Cabot Clothbound Cheddar, it was like no cheddar I've ever had. Bmo likened it to parmesan, while I almost thought of it more like an aged gouda. Like a super aged gouda. De-licious. And the rind had that earthy/grassy thing going on that I so enjoy.
T. did a very close repeat to one of our fave dishes from the last time around with a few minor changes: Duck Confit Orrecchiette with geiser, caramelized onions, green peppercorns and breadcrumbs). Or maybe no changes. I hadn't recalled the green peppercorns the last time around, but I liked the slight kick they gave my mouth when I got one in a bite.
The last round featured an Italian Gaglioppo, Statti, which also didn't make me fall in love, though it was a nice pairing for a quirky cheese. The cheese was Rogue Creamery's Smokey Blue. I've had smoked cheeses in my life, but this cheese was smoky in a whole new ways and looked like a whale.
The final food portion was Beef Cheeks "Diable" with celery root and truffle sauces? Or maybe the white one was celery-y and the brown is more the juice of the cheek? This was so freaking tender, you could have eaten it with a spoon. I'm generally not a big fan of celery except as a straw for bloody mary's, but the celery element here lightened the overall richness of the beef in a great way.

1 comment:

nc catherine said...

Wow this is amazing. And I feel like a right Philistine, belly and cheek and speck...

But I do agree, what was the thinking in serving cheese of any ilk on paper napkins no matter how linen-ish they look?

I need to come there and go on the great food tour with you!