Friday, September 23, 2011

Non-Restaurant Week c/o Cochon

So last week I asked LB if she and CM might like to go to a restaurant week dinner with me. Once I understood the promise of the deal, I was all about it. In the end, however, we decided to go to Cochon. This was because CM had long wanted to go, and I'd never been back since I went with Mr. Ass, AS and JH back in December, 2008. So we made a reservation and then met up. I recalled enjoying their fried oyster appetizer with fennel salad and bacon aioli the last time out, so when I saw a similar dish on their menu I didn't hesitate to order it. Still good, though the fennel salad component wasn't quite as revelatory as that last time. I brought a Rose because I had it, which was a kind of interesting wine to pair the oysters with.
The lighting in the restaurant was difficult for me, so please bear with the rather sparse and badly done photos. For my entree I went with the charcoute garni, which consisted of: sausage, pork ribs, pork belly with sauerkraut, fingerling potatoes and a mustard/riesling broth. Did you count how many different kinds of pork were in this bowl of crazy? Three. The ribs were smoky tender delights, and the pork belly - ugh it was melty fatty crazy time. And the broth and overall tastes going on were addictive. Not literally, I haven't been mainlining the stuff ever since, but I took home the leftovers and enjoyed them over the course of a few lunches.
Since it was restaurant week, we were pretty much the only people in this non restaurant week spot. It's always fun to hang out with these two, and every time we do, we say we should do it more often but then life and scheduling gets in the way. Nonetheless, I'm committed to going to another meal with these folks before the weather completely turns.
We took a few more photos outside, but with LB's camera. I am going to try to get her to send them to me because some of them are real 'winners.'

No comments: