Monday, October 31, 2011

Saturday Early Snow

The end of this week will mark the one year anniversary of my mother's death. I didn't feel like spending it in the city, and certainly didn't want to deal with office folk throughout the week, so I asked my employers if I could work remotely, which they graciously granted me permission to do. My plan was to return to S.'s house, which is where I spent a good number of days after departing the south and returning northerly after Mom's funeral. My initial plan was to arrive Saturday, but there was all this talk of 'snow' so I decided it probably made more sense to leave Friday evening, which I did. Though I stopped briefly to get myself some wine, I didn't make a proper grocery run because I figured I'd have plenty of time before the snow to do so on Saturday morning (my priorities in action). This turned out only kind of true. When I got out of bed around 9 it was already snowing, and though I'm sure I could have safely made it the 10-ish miles to the grocery store and back without disaster striking...I decided that maybe I didn't want to, and that I had enough weird things to eat to last me. Here's what it looked like within an hour of me waking up when I took my first snow walk. Well, actually this photograph of the pumpkin patch was taken inside.

It was seriously coming down and didn't really seem like it had any intention of letting up. As the day went on, and the snow kept falling, lights flickered and flashed until eventually regular electricity conked out entirely. Thankfully for me, S. has a generator, which has seen me through the last two days and hopefully will see me through until the power is restored.
Just a little snow.
It didn't feel quite wintery, so I didn't wear a jacket but I did wear a hat.

2 comments:

nc catherine said...

This is one of the toughest parts, the one year mark. I remember the strange and oh so early sleet and snow last year, snowing buckets in the mountains of western North Carolina on my wild drive to TN and then again once I crossed into Sewanee. Pouring sleet. And we remarked that it was your mom farting about with weather to make us all pay attention. Which we did. Anniversaries don't lose their power but they do lose a little of the rawness. Love you.

Raya said...

Love and thoughts with you sweet caroline:)
Hug