Friday, October 28, 2011

Brunch c/o Bolete and S.

My weekend in the country last week was a relatively low key affair. The main food event of my own making was a rather epic session of cookie baking, which somehow I made no effort to capture. Know this: for the last week my coworkers have been drowning in butterscotch pecan and chocolate chip pecan cookies. This goes for my roommate as well - but I'm not sure he's really drowning. Though this evening, as he took a cookie from one of the FOUR different containers I originally needed to contain them all, he said that I would be to blame for his weight gain. Dude generally seems to eat only peanut butter sandwiches and protein shakes, so I feel ok about it:) The one slightly social/food noteworthy element of the weekend was when S. invited me to go out to brunch with her, A. and H at Bolete. We drove together and sat down at our table while we waited for A. and H. I ordered a Bloody Mary, which was pretty tasty thought not mind blowing...though its alcohol content snuck up on me a little bit in a surprising way.
Once A. and H. arrived they set down this little plate of bread goods. I forget what it all was, though I did try a bacon/cheddar scone kind of thing.
I had done my menu research before even arriving at the joint, which I've enjoyed twice before -once with A. and M. and S. in the summer of 2009, and once with Mr. Ass last year. So I was pretty sure I was going to go with the 'Eggs Chizmar.' With no real crazy additions and no specials, that choice was not put into question. What are 'Eggs Chizmar' you ask? Well, they're two poached eggs with two fried oysters, magically tasty (but not hallucinogenic) mushrooms, bacon and mizuna on buttermilk biscuits with a nice helping of hollandaise to finish it all off.
Unlike my recent fried oyster let-down at Oyster House, this set of fried oysters still had some flavor and succulence. The eggs were perfectly cooked and the addition of mushrooms was superb. Seriously, I was a happy camper.
I may have creeped A. and H. out when just as we were all separating and going our own ways I made reference to the fact that I remember having a drink with them and M. and A. when they were first seeing each other. I think it could have creeped them out because A. and I - though we traveled together for nearly a month when we were 19/20 - don't really keep in touch. And I'm sure that neither of them have any recollection of seeing me during their very, very early moments of courtship. They have since gotten married. Nonetheless, I thought it was kind of neat to see them x years later, but maybe I could have expressed it better. In any case, I thank S. for thinking of setting up the brunch in the first place and then generously buying us brunch. She made this comment about how 'if you're the person who invites people to brunch then it's implied that you're paying.' Those are not her words verbatim, but they're awfully close. I had to chuckle and respond with 'when I ask people to brunch, I just want them to come with me not pay for them.' S. responded that with age comes great brunch maturity. Well, she didn't say that. The point is: I enjoyed my meal very much and I was glad to see A. and meet H. and thankful that S. was willing to foot the bill:)

No comments: