Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Grown Up of the Corn

So after running my errands, getting my McDonald's sandwich on and then returning home to do some work, I hemmed and hawed and generally acted like a total flake about whether I was going to come up and hang out with Mr. Ass or not. This was due to my slower than average brain and my hatred of finding a parking space in my neighborhood after 6 PM. In the end, however, it was decided by my fan base (HA) that I needed to get out into the greater world. So off I went. I tried to meet up with Mr. Ass in Solebury in order to watch a softball game, but I didn't make it, so instead we went back to his homestead and played some scrabble and watched his mother make venison meat balls. Eventually Mr. Ass's friend S. joined the fun, which was good because he had a plan for dinner. While that plan was being realized, I looked out and decided it was time for me to say hello to the garden and to see what it's like to hang out in a corn field.

I wish that the day had been just a little sunnier/warmer, and that I had brought my outdoors chair because I think I could dig feeling invisible in the middle of a corn field. It's like, all these almost perfect rows. This never ending canopy. I don't know what I'm talking about, just that I really enjoyed walking in between the slightly curved rows...occasionally going against the flow to get deeper into the field or to feel closer to the edge. I never got turned around or lost, but I can see how that would be both appealing and terrifying. I mean, you know it has to end somewhere so you just pick a direction and walk. I would guess. Below is a photograph of me pretending to hear something curious or scary. I never watched Children of the Corn, and I think I'm pretty happy about that decision.


Eventually I emerged in a completely different place than I started, though not really all that far away and then jumped a small ditch to get back to the house.
This is where I came out of, from the other side of the ditch.

No comments: