Sunday, October 09, 2011

Sushi c/o Zama and Drinks c/o Center City

Last Saturday I was working in the office and trying to think of something I could make my reward for being inside on what I remember being a pretty nice day. After some conversation with LW, that reward became sushi at Zama. I was determined to do right by myself and the economy and zoomed through the rest of my work with a sense of purpose and gluttony in front of me. Once there, I started with a rice wine martini. I think that's what it was. With 'rice crispies' along the edge. It was nice and smooth and slightly earthy but with a sweetness.
The wasabi salted edamame seemed like a good idea. And they were.
LW and I split the Mad Dog Roll, which featured yellowtail and jalapeno inside wrapped with soy paper then tempura battered, served open faced with tuna sashimi and avocado salsa.This was a pretty good roll, though the rice cracker thing on top threatened to break my teeth just a little. The jalapeno and I think a dash of cilantro, however, were quite pleasing. The cuts of fish were fair, though I wouldn't say overly generous given the roll's price point.
I went with the crazy fun times plate. That's what they called it. Not really. They called it the special making tasting and it included soy wrapped barbeque eel, rainbow roll, yellowtail jalapeno mango, spicy crunchy tuna, and salmon and fig maki. It was, perhaps, a slightly obscene amount of food but I was dedicated and hadn't had lunch.
I'd say that I enjoyed the jalapeno yellowtail and rainbow rolls the best. I liked the idea smoked salmon and fig ... except for the fig part. The spicy tuna was good but not terribly 'wowza'.
LW had the handroll trio and was quite pleased. I was pleased too. I'm not sure it was the best of the bestest, but it was definitely above average in terms of presentation and tastiness.
After that we headed over to Tank Bar for a drink to determine our next step of the evening.
At the end of that drink, LW went off to Northern Liberties to see about a fellow and some art while I hoofed it over to Field House (I need to start remembering that I simply cannot walk nearly a mile in high heels without suffering dire consequences for 1-2 weeks afterwards) in order to meet up with my relatively still new roommate P. and a huge number of others wearing orange shirts and rooting for the Clemson Tigers.
Now Field House isn't really my go-to venue. So many people wearing colors of teams. So many dudes with shoulders and backwards hats. But on this evening it was pretty entertaining on the whole. The Tigers won. The bartender kept on giving me free drinks. P. and his buddies headed somewhere else while LW and I reconvened at McCrossen's. And that's about a wrap for the evening. It's nice to find myself in places and situations that are kind of new to me; it reminds me that even in these small changes of location/establishments that the world is really a bigger place than I often feel like it is. At times this makes me feel weird in a bad way, but at other times it reminds me to be a little less cynical and a little more open.

2 comments:

LW said...

"Fellow" is so apt. So so apt.

nc catherine said...

Oh man I want the whole platter, every piece, every roll even if there are figs!

What is wrong with dudes with shoulders and hats? Well backwards hats sometimes are annoying, but dudes with shoulders..nooooo problem.

Good thing your housemate does not root for SC: then you have to be cajoled into hollering Go Cocks, since they are the Gamecocks...I am laughing as I type this, imagining you hollering this. Yes it is funny.