Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Brain Connections

At some point in the last two weeks, LW and I went to McCrossens. I decided that I wanted French Fries and to try the marrow special. The thing that happened, however, was that when the marrow came out I had some trouble. I'm not overly well versed with marrow, but I know I should like it because I like all sorts of things and marrow is known to be some pretty tasty stuff. And while I didn't immediately dislike the presentation or anything, I couldn't help but start to think about marrow in a different context. That context being the fact that for the last six months or so of my mother's life, it was her marrow that was causing her all the trouble. So as I was trying to scoop this cow marrow out of its bone with a spoon, I couldn't help but think of the needles that my mother endured. In the end I powered through about a quarter of the bone before giving up. It just was making me a little nauseous. I thought I had more to say about this. And I probably do but this is where I'm leaving it for the time being.

1 comment:

nc catherine said...

Oh yes I can see why this caused some anxiety. Osso bucco is its own little rounds of deliciousness; a large hank of bone could be weird on the best of days.