Friday, September 10, 2010

Dinner c/o Tinto, Gelato c/o Capogiro

After we mastered the charcuterie plate at James it was time to go to our second destination for M.'s albeit quick Philly food tour. That destination was Tinto. We were a little early and a table wasn't yet ready for us, so we went to the teeny tiny bar area and ordered drinks while we waited. I had their cheapest by-the-glass sparkling wine (MaCabeo, Xarel-lo, Castell Roig, Brut, Penedès NV), which I thoroughly enjoyed. I commented to M. about the way taking photographs of champagne is sort of like taking photographs of fireworks (at least the way I do these things). Always comes out pretty, but you never know exactly what it's going to look like. That's bad isn't it? Hm. M. had a red wine with an X in it. Garnatxa, I don't know which one though.
We ordered a nice mix of things, some new, some familiarly goood. First out was the heirloom tomato gazpacho. These peppers were mild but delicious. Peppers, unless you know them they're kind of a mystery. Will it be spicy? Will it be sweet? Green for green light. Red for red light? Except when paired with duck? What?! Moving on. This was not your every day gazpacho. M. isn't a fan of this particular cold soup, but even she gave it a more than one taste.
Then cheeses. M. tried Manchego while I ordered Epoisses, which is so smelly, and pungent on the tongue, and yet awesome. How can that be? I don't get it.
This was the lump crab with soft scrambled egg peas and b-a-c-o-n, bacon! I've had it before, and I liked it, but I think this wouldn't be a repeat dish on my next visit.
M. was really interested in the kind of mushrooms we ate. I believe one of the three mushrooms was of the Chanterelle variety...because they are in season? Unless it was Morels? I'll need to check in with M. and see if she remembers.
When L. and I ate at Tinto I fell in love with the chicken skewers and the ridiculous garbanzo,truffle,meaty puree at the bottom of each glass. They did not disappoint. Skewers to a whole new level. Mmm.
This dish was artichoke and butter. There was so much butter. In a good and bad way.
After dinner we went across to Capogiro. I ordered a scoop of basil and coconut and the server was really nice and gave me a little taste of the concord grape sorbet. Having just had the real thing, I have to say the sorbet didn't capture 'concord grape-ness' essence as much as I may have hoped. The other two flavors, however, wer delightful. M. went with coconut.

No comments: